Flex flue size question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2008
northshore ma
Hello All,

This site has really helped me in many ways the last few weeks. I just purchased a Regency i1200 and have planned to install this soon. I do have some questions as to the installation. The dealer has indicated that the flex size i should use for this stove should be 5.5 inch dia. This does not match what the manufactures manual depicts. Am I missing something...can anybody help me regarding this. I plan to install this my self and want to be sure I order the right flex pipe kit online...

Also, i have a short chimney...aprox 15 ft from top of chimney to damper. Should i purchase the 25 ft kit or are there shorter kits online so I don't waste too much material. The best price for one of these kits online i have found was around 400 dollars. Can anyone steer me in the right direction.

Thanks all!!!

I would tend to stick with what the manual says. Though it may be simply a different name the dealer has for the same pipe or a simple mis-statement on his part. Either way be vigilant and make sure you get the right stuff. As far as the kit, I had a similar situation - needed about 13' of pipe. I found a local dealer who was selling by the foot, so I got the required length plus about 1 foot to make sure I had enough. If you're forced to buy the 25 foot, take care not to bang up the excess and you may be able to resell it on the local craigslist or ebay.

The only reason to slightly downsize would be if your chimney is very small inside and you cannot fit the 6" ID. Otherwise, go with the same size as the flue collar - usually 6".

Some companies will sell you liner by the foot, but the price may not be much less than kits.

They do make 15' & 20' kits. If you go with the 15, make sure you definitely have enough. May be better going with the 20 and cutting any excess off if there is any.
Go with the manufacturer's spec'd sizes unless you can't get it down the chimney as Craig has explained. Maybe the dealer has a surplus of 5.5" and is using you to get rid of it. If 6" will work, sheet can that dealer, or at least make him explain why 5.5" was recommended. Then show him the manual stating 6".

I flue is 7 x 11 so I don't think that the 6 inch liner will be compromised. My damper might have to be removed or cut , opening is ~5.5 inches...maybe that is why the downsized liner was recommended however I never indicated having a 5.5 damper opening. I think I will go with the 6 inch and modify somehow the damper opening. Any suggestions or is removal of whole unit neccessary.

Thanks in advance
dave

Ok that explains it then. A 7" flue makes it tight. Now figure in any mortar ooze between the tiles and the 5.5 damper and that is why he suggested that.
Now I can see why the dealer suggested the 5.5". You may find that 6" tough to get down. Any small variation in the tiles lining up or any mortar that squeezed out is going to be a major thorn in your side.
Best look down there and make sure the 6" will go.

Get yourself a sawzaw & an angle grinder and go to town on that damper. I cut enough of mine out the liner came almost dead straight onto the insert.

I only have 4 flue tiles that I might be able to get to from the roof if i discover "mortar ooze" before the flue enters the smoke chamber. Thanks for the heads up on the angle grinder...i will try that in hopes that the 6 inch will do it. This is an interior chimney and my home is only a single level with attic space above. I'm ball parking 15 ft of liner....do you think insulation is required for this application...I'm really hoping not ...isn't the insulation expensive so this is my reasoning at the moment.

Thanks again
Dave

Flex can be large on the outside, so a 6" might have to be slightly oval to go down some 7x11's......it's possible. It is not likely that the insulation will fit easily. Given an interior chimney - assuming the liner is in good shape, etc - you can probably forgo the insulation. But if the insulation fits easily - it is definitely helpful - although less so on an interior chimney.

I agree with Craig. I highly doubt that you will fit insulation around the liner down the 7" chimney. Being an interior chimney, you really don't need it as long as the existing chimney is intact and good shape to meet code.

Not to hijack the thread, but maybe it'll help him and a bump can't be bad...

What is the means of connecting the liner to the insert? I assume it fits inside the lip where the flue exits his insert, but how is it fastened in place? And how well does this stuff (the flex liner) bend? Can you actually get it to make a 45?

Flex liner is not as flexible as the name sounds. But it does bend some. A 45 would depend on how tight of one your trying to make. A tight one, I doubt it, a larger loose one, sure.
Remember this is stainless steel, not aluminum like your used to say on your dryer. As far as connecting liner to insert or stove, there is usually an adapter involved which is screwed to the insert collar and the the liner screwed to the adapter.

Hogwildz is correct with the connecting liner to insert adapter. The flue is in great shape. The previous owner of home hardly used the fireplace so the flue happens to be in great shape. I may need to clean the flue before installing the liner. So I will go with a 6 inch and grind up the damper...good times.

Wish me luck

I put a 25' liner down my chimney yesterday, I did get caught up on shifted tiles a couple of times. I just coupled 2 sticks of 3/4" conduit to get it unstuck. Took all of 45 minutes in a 7"x11" I.D. flue.

davenorthshorema said:
Hogwildz is correct with the connecting liner to insert adapter. The flue is in great shape. The previous owner of home hardly used the fireplace so the flue happens to be in great shape. I may need to clean the flue before installing the liner. So I will go with a 6 inch and grind up the damper...good times.

Wish me luck

I helped Newtown on here with his liner. It was tight! And did get caught up on a few uneven tiles that one stuck out 3/4" further than the other, and the mortar on top to boot. It took us several tries. I fashioned a cone for the end and put a rope with a big knot inside. the rope went down the chimney for him to pull it down while I pushed it down from up top. What really helped, was me spinning the liner as we tried to ease it down the inside of the tiles. May hep you if you run into a tight situation. I def suggest either making or purchasing a pulling end cone for the install. It will make things easier, although I have a feeling, your going to have just a tough time as we did.
He posted photos here, you'd have to search them. Forget about the insulation, that ain't going to happen.

Clean the old liner before installing the new one. Have a long bar there for the new liner install. I used a broom handle to break away some mortar that was protruding from a few of the tile seams.
Take your time, and go easy. These liners can unravel or get punctured if abused to much.
Good luck.

I got my liner wednesday, permit in hand on Thursday and installed liner/cap today. I will have to wait for the building inspector on Tuesday to check the work before I put the I1200 into place. So far so good. The six inch flex liner was tight but my wife and I managed. I can't wait to get the full blessing so we can start with our break in!!!!1

I will attach pictures once done.

Status
Not open for further replies.