Flex Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

saturn13

Jan 17, 2018
So I restored a buck stove, Little Buck, new gaskets, fan,motor, wiring and thermostat. I installed the whole thing with an 8 inch flex liner to a cast iron adapter. Well my wife hates how it looks and the mess of the wood. So I have to rip it out and I want to put it in the basement. Can I use that flex liner at all to vent this outside, its an insulated line from a chimney supply place.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So I restored a buck stove, Little Buck, new gaskets, fan,motor, wiring and thermostat. I installed the whole thing with an 8 inch flex liner to a cast iron adapter. Well my wife hates how it looks and the mess of the wood. So I have to rip it out and I want to put it in the basement. Can I use that flex liner at all to vent this outside, its an insulated line from a chimney supply place.

That depends how your chimney flues are set up and what size they are. Theoretically....you could pull the liner out, buy some extra along with components to make up the additional length and drop it down the basement flue but that's an oversimplified explanation. There are a lot of factors that will determine if it'll work. Lots of questions to answer.

Do you have a second flue?
How big is it?
Does it have a terracotta liner in it?
How long is the original liner/how long does the new one need to be?
Did you use a T at the bottom of the current liner?
Can you get more material to extend and insulate the liner?
How is the original liner insulated?

Start with that and see where you get.

There is a basement flue. There is currently a water heater ventes into it. It's smaller at 6-7 inches so the 8 inch liner won't work. I believe the flue is clay lined. If I can't go up through that flue can I vent out through the basement wall/side of the house .

There is a basement flue. There is currently a water heater ventes into it. It's smaller at 6-7 inches so the 8 inch liner won't work. I believe the flue is clay lined. If I can't go up through that flue can I vent out through the basement wall/side of the house .

With a chimney yes with just a liner absolutly not.

Might be cheaper to build a wall between the nice warm side of the house and your wife's side of the house. ;)

Maybe take her stove shopping and let her pick out a pretty one? A crummy stove is better than no stove.

Reactions: snaple4
Depending on the design of the chimney, the flue that currently has the wood stove in it may extend all the way to the basement and you could possibly cut in a new thimble and add additional material to the existing liner and lower it and bring the connector through the new crock. It's a little more challenging than what it sounds but might be possible

As mentioned, you'd have to build either a new chimney or install a Class-A chimney if that doesn't work. You can't mix gas and wood in the same flue and you definitely can't just hang a liner out there.

My terra cotta liner is good down to the basement, but the biggest liner would probably be a 6 inch and the one I have now is 8 inch. And right now that flue still have the gas exhaust from the water heater (I will be replacing in future with exhaust out through furnace exhaust out side wall of house.) But I was more wondering That seeing the Buck stove was also designed to used as free standing, can I place it at bottom of stairs and use the flex liner to get to side of house inside the basement, and then go through a thimble and then outside have the triple wall solid pipe?

My terra cotta liner is good down to the basement, but the biggest liner would probably be a 6 inch and the one I have now is 8 inch. And right now that flue still have the gas exhaust from the water heater (I will be replacing in future with exhaust out through furnace exhaust out side wall of house.) But I was more wondering That seeing the Buck stove was also designed to used as free standing, can I place it at bottom of stairs and use the flex liner to get to side of house inside the basement, and then go through a thimble and then outside have the triple wall solid pipe?

No. Flexible liner can NOT be used as a connector pipe to a chimney.

Reactions: Squisher