flex or rigid/flex combo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

larboc

Oct 6, 2014
Hancock, MI
Two fireplaces that I'm putting inserts into. One is getting a lopi freedom, the other a lopi revere. Both chimneys are currently 10" square clay liners with typical smoke shelves. I'm planning on plasma cutting out the steel opening to 7" round to pass through whatever is needed.
The freedom gets the 15' chimney, the revere gets the 10' chimney. In all my reading on here I have narrowed it down to either getting two of the $300 northern tool kits ( I can pick up in store so free shipping) or buying rigid sections from a stove shop and a short length of flex for the bottom, this route appx. doubles the price and means I'll have a connection. I'm wondering how either liner would wobble around in the 10" clay liner. Both are interior chimneys so I don't plan to insulate at this time.

I can't find any compelling reason not to go the northern tool (duraflex) route. I'm hoping to either order or pickup my stuff in the next day or two and would like a little confirmation. Thanks.

why not insulate them do you have the required clearance? and we pretty much only use flex

I suppose I could, I just didn't figure I needed to spend the money on the insulation since the chimney is interior to the house and I could do it later if I have draft issues. I figured the heat coming from the liner would just go into the chimney and then the house.

Pour in vermiculite or a wrap? I'm a little concerned whether or not the 10' chimney will draft enough to burn nice.

Insulate with the wrap. That 10ft flue is going to need all the help it can get.

I am about to install an insert and have a similar setup as you described (16' fp floor to top of clay liner, interior chimney). When researching liners I figured spending a couple hundred more is worth the investment and it is always way easier to just do it right the first time. So I went with a kit from Rockford Chimney Supply's Ebay site that included a smooth wall pipe (15' length) that is actually a double wall (.013 thick) and is advertised as increasing draft and an insulation wrap with all other required parts all for $499.

I personally dont like that double wall stuff at all I find it hard to install without damaging it and have seen several fair pretty quickly

I'm going with the fireside chimney supply pre-insulated 6"x15' liner, 13x13x7" flat top plate setting inside of my existing rain cap, and a 6" appliance adapter. Going to call to confirm in the morning and place the order. I see the double wall stuff doesn't work well, but what about the pre insulated stuff?

Anyone know a promo code for them :D ?

Double wall rigid, with flex at the bottom through the smoke shelf to the insert here, and love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.