Flex pipe to stove connection directly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moondoggy

Oct 29, 2007
Long Island NY
hey all,
if your following along, went to my last store today, saw morso ....still love the VC Intrepid II.
Going to buy tomorrow I think.
oddly the guy today said Catalytic was old technology. ?? and cat replacment was 250.00 before install?? its 90. bucks on ebay and i'd do it myself anyway....whatever, not buying it from him.

doing the install w/my father in law.(doing the flue clean/flex pipe/and insulation..running it up the chimney.)
I measured 9 ways to sunday.
the stack will go out the back of the stove and the damper is only a few inches away. (stove is only 2inches into the fireplace, and no i dont want to move it further out).

-CAN I run the flex pipe right up to the stove?its a perfect swoop out the chimney. yes i will create/ run through a block off plate.
I dont have to have to have a T? cause it aint gonna fit!
small elbow maybe.. just want to be safe but it looks to be a perfect run out the back and up.

thanks in advance.

too psyched for this.

Mine and a lot of other free standing stoves sit in the fireplace with the liner running straight into an elbow or stove adapter on top of it. Heck of a lot easier to clean the chimney that way and no angles like with a tee to affect draft.

Which Harman stove do you have?

That link is to a discussion about a pellet stove.

If the flex does not fit the stove collar you can us and adjustable 90 degree elbow or a 6" starter piece or the flue collar connector that should have come with the kit

It should work fine

cool, then i dont need a kit... I also dont need 25 ft of flex liner. my chimney is only 15ft top to bottom.
cant buy the flex at home depot huh? top plate and cap... i got to make that my next stop.
on Chimneyliner depot its cheaper to buy the install kit then it is the pcs. minus the T.
probably still better off buying the KIT and ebaying the T.

thanks guys

Call Glen at Chimney Liner Depot and tell him you need a 20ft, get the extra to give you something to work with, kit with an "insert adapter" instead of a T and they will substitute it at the same price in the kit.

you all know you're my new best friends right?

buying the VC Intrepid today at lunch if all goes well : )

Buy a tube of refractory cement to cement in the adapter ans flue collar also 1/8" titanium drill bits to drill the stainless steel to attach it to the flue collar
When drilling Stainless steel push in and out at low speed or you will dull that bit real quick. Or and off the drill works to. The flue collar is only 1" deep so that is why a bead of gasket cement may be needed to make the final seal. Screw it in and seal it

I posted a similar question about my Hampton HI300, but I wanted to use a 5.5" liner and go directly into my stove which can be used with a 6" or 5.5" liner. Do I have to get the Hampton flue collar adaptor to do this, or can I just use the one from chimneylinerdepot or wherever?

EddyKilowatt said:
Going to be a bit of a bother to clean inside that "swoop". But it'll let you get going, which sounds important.

If a rope is used for cleaning it "swoops" right through.

Narrh disconect it stick it in a bucket dump the bucket connect it back up done have a beer and relax. that all that's to it

Status
Not open for further replies.