FLEX 'RIBBED' LINER VS. RIGID 'SMOOTH' LINER

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil655

Nov 2, 2009
SW COLO
I was wondering if there was a noticable performance difference between the corragated flex liner and a smooth wall rigid liner.
you would think the smooth wall would provide more draft and be easier to clean. im trying to decide if the cost difference
between the two woukd be worth it. With the rigid Dura liner being more expensive
what are your thoughts

How much difference is the cost.. flex is easier to install also, but yes rigid does provide more draft, will you as a person know... Probably not, not unless comparing the two stoves side by side.

HighBurn said:
I was wondering if there was a noticable performance difference between the corragated flex liner and a smooth wall rigid liner.
you would think the smooth wall would provide more draft and be easier to clean. im trying to decide if the cost difference
between the two woukd be worth it. With the rigid Dura liner being more expensive
what are your thoughts

I was weighting the same decision when I did my install. I went with double wall insulated rigid and it was fairly easy to install.
Its a charm to clean. The only rough patch is the flax liner I have at the last 5 feet through the smoke shelf to the insert.
When I bought it, it was a few hundred more than a flex with the added cost of the insulation for the flex. For me, well worth the added expense.

Highburn,

I installed 20' of 6", 304 grade, 22 gauge rigid liner in an existing interior 8 x 12 clay flue. It is a straight shot into a thimble, so it was an easy install. If you burn properly, I would think that both flex and rigid would perform equally. Being smooth, I would think the rigid is much easier to clean. That said, I paid $550 for all the parts needed to complete my installation. I've seen flex kits as low as $350. I think the rigid is worth the extra money and will probably last longer.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.