Flexible probe thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just spent an hour on google with no real avail. Found ear thermometers, anal thermometers and one place that sells remote thermometers but couldn't really find how to pair the two. Does anyone know of a thermometer with a flexible probe?

The long story:

Napoleon 1100C with a full trivet on top which is nice for the steamer/candles, plus it looks nice. When new I used it without the trivet and put the thermometer on stove top to learn temperatures, flame pattern etc. Once I got the hang of that I put the trivet back on and used the magnetic thermometer on top the trivet and poked around with the IR. I found 100 degree difference between the stove top and trivet. This past week the trivet wouldn't measure above 375, but the flame and emissions looked good so I took the stove gloves and removed that HEAVY thing and put the thermometer on the stove top which was fun with stove gloves and it immediately went up to 700 degrees. Which means the thermometer on the trivet is the problem.

I like the trivet but too heavy to move and for some reason the temperature varies. So what I'm thinking if I could get a flexible probe between the trivet and the stove, there is about two inches between the stove top and trivet, I could get a better reading that way. The other thought would be drilling through the steel trivet (sounds like a real PITA) and sticking a flue type probe though the trivet but don't know if enough would go through to give any better of a reading.

You might try a remote BBQ thermometer. Not sure though if the temps will go high enough for your app. I've been trying to rig an Oregon AWA-131 to remotelyt monitor my OWF. Good thermometer (seems temp accurate, adverted range up to 300++ feet, etc).
'luck,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.