Q&A Floor covering

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm starting from scratch putting in a woodstove. My living room has wall-to-wall carpet. Will I be able to put something just down on top of the carpet (such as a stove board) or will I have to take the carpet up in that particular area and put something else down? Thanks!

Answer:

Whether or not you have to remove the carpet depends on three things:

1-You must check with your local jurisdiction and see what they require. Believe it or not, code requirements vary quite a bit from state to state and city to city.

2-You must follow the requirements as provided in the woodstove owners manual or as printed on the name plate, which is usually on the rear of the stove. Some mfgrs require insulated floor pads, while other simply require something that is non combustible.

3-There are some floor pads that are "listed" to be installed directly over carpet, providing that the above requirements have been met. Hearth Classics is one that comes to mind.

As you can see, there's no simple yes or no answer to your question. That is why I recommend to most folks that they engage the services of a professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.