Flu pipe (from stove to chimney)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJFlores

Burning Hunk
Dec 22, 2013
NH
Here's something I've been wondering for a few years. The stove pipe that goes from your stove to the chimney...how long can they last? They cant last forever with the heat they sustain..or maybe they do? I dont have a thermometer on mine, just on my stove top but I've already replaced a piece of cast iron within the stove (it began to sag from over temp so I called and bought the part, replaced it and it's been fine). I have probably 4 or 5 feet of stove pipe between the stove and where it connects to the chimney...seems solid but does anyone replace theirs just to be safe? Maybe every 15 or 20 years or so? Just wondering. I occasionally wrap on mine with the stove door tool and it feels solid.

A stainless lined double-wall connector pipe might outlast the stove. I would say 20 yrs+ as long as temps in it stay within specs. Heavy gauge (22ga) single wall should also last a long time.

Reactions: Fred Wright
Depends on what quality and material you purchase. I used to use, way back when, the "blue-black" cheap pipe and had to replace it every two or three yr. Now I use the double-walled with the inner pipe stainless and haven't replace a piece in years. I don't have much experience with the heavier-duty single-walled stuff, but a couple people I know who do have it haven't replaced theirs since installation maybe ten yr. ago. Both of those people are using Selkirk's single wall black pipe.

Reactions: Fred Wright
Yep, cheap thinwall smoke pipe doesn't last more than a few seasons at best. It rots out. That's what I used years ago when I started wood burning. Won't use it no more.

Doublewall w/stainless inner liner is probably your best bet if you can get past the cost. You'll pay more but it's worth it. Keeps the exhaust hotter, too... that reduces creosote.

SS single wall smoke pipe is available, it will last darn near forever.

On the stove we had before buying the Fireview, we had that flue pipe in well over 20 years and it was still solid. When we installed the Fireview we also put up a new chimney and needed only one short piece so we just bought a new one. Wouldn't have had to though.

When I bought my Fireview 12 years ago I was at Woodstock Soapstone Company and bought some of their stove pipe. I remember buying it because it just felt heavy duty. It's been in since then and still feels pretty solid. So far so good, I was just wondering if people recommend changing it "just in case" every few years, or maybe every 10 or so. It still feels solid when I wrap on it with the door tool so I guess I'll leave it be until it presents a problem.

Heavy gauge black stove pipe stands up pretty well. It's the cheap light gauge pipe that has most of the problems.

When I bought my Fireview 12 years ago I was at Woodstock Soapstone Company and bought some of their stove pipe. I remember buying it because it just felt heavy duty. It's been in since then and still feels pretty solid. So far so good, I was just wondering if people recommend changing it "just in case" every few years, or maybe every 10 or so. It still feels solid when I wrap on it with the door tool so I guess I'll leave it be until it presents a problem.

MJ, are you talking about the Class A or the black pipe. But either way, no need to change until it goes bad and that will take many, many years.

Title says it all.

Whoops. Senior moment there. ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.