flu pipe question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

piponss

Dec 14, 2014
long island, ny
Ok so i have a old russo #2 cwc and the pipe comes out the back of stove... after i put a 90 deg. going up can i then offset it to the front a little with two 45 deg. or does it have to be straight up... and if i can is there a limit to how much of an offset there can be?

Im trying to get this thing as close as i can to the wall... now i know i have to build a non combustable wall with a 1 inch gap so i can get it that close but now the pipe will be to close i think .. unless i use double wall pipe with i don't want to do because of heat loss

thanks
john

A few pointers.
1) The minimum clearance for the stove will be 12" with an NFPA 211 wall shield.
2) The wall shield must be open 1-3" at the bottom and open a the top.
3) Single-wall stove pipe has a clearance of 18", double-wall connector is 6".
4) An offset is fine. The pipe or wall will also need to be shielded if it is single-wall and closer than18".
5) Crimped end of the pipe points down toward the stove. Three screws per pipe joint required.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear

1)now that 12 inch clearance will be from the sheetrock wall and not the new wall correct? for the stove i mean!
2) this shield can be made of any non combustable material ?
3) the single pipe is 18 inch even if the wall is built out an inch?

1)now that 12 inch clearance will be from the sheetrock wall and not the new wall correct? for the stove i mean!
2) this shield can be made of any non combustable material ?
3) the single pipe is 18 inch even if the wall is built out an inch?

Yes, that is 12" from the combustible surface behind the wall shield. Yes, any non-combustible material. What did you have in mind?
If the wall shield continues up to the ceiling (but 1" is open and vented up at the top) then the pipe can be 6". But if the wall shield is not there then the pipe needs 18" clearance. One workaround is to put pipe shields on the pipe itself, the other is to do the connector with double-wall stove pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.