Flu type

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TStreet

Feb 9, 2008
Southern Indiana
I am wanting to install a small wood furnace in my basement and on a limited budget. I was thinking of installing 8 inch well casing from my walk out basement patio, and run in above my roofline. The total length would be around 18 feet tall. I was also going to use pole barn metal to encase and protect it from outside air. I would use black pipe inside the wall, then use dura vent wall thimble to go through the wall. Do you think this would work satisfactory. I have a friend who has this set up in his barn and it seems to work ok.
Thanks for any advise,
Terry

I highly doubt you will find anyone here to approve of this chimney.

I don't doubt that it has worked for others. All a chimney needs needs to be is a hole for smoke to go through at it's most minimum of definitions.

However, the problem is that this setup is NOT as safe as ANY UL approved setup.

pen

Safety should supersede the budget. Installing Class A now will Save you headaches later. It may just save your family's life.

When we bought our house, there was an old Lopi M520 installed. The stovepipe inside the house was actually 8" well casing, all welded. At the cathedral ceiling, however, a proper transition trough a support box was made to the required Class A chimney from there to daylight. You can use your well casing for stovepipe (connector pipe) inside the structure if you want to, I s'pose, but from wherever it penetrates the structure, Class A chimney is to be installed. Rick

Attachments

• oldlopi.jpg
    oldlopi.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 212
Status
Not open for further replies.