Flue - Damage to trees?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JMann

Hearth Supporter
Jun 27, 2008
Southern PA
I am having a Seton 90 boiler delivered to my home in the next few weeks. I have a contractor coming out to do all of the major install work to have it run in tandem with my existing oil furnace and domestic electric hot water heater. I'll be digging the trench from the garage to the house and would like to install the flue. I have a peaked roof and would like to go out through the roof rather than out through the side. The unknown here is that I have a 60 foot hemlock that shades a small part of the garage where the flue would come out.

If I prune the branches back in the immediate area where the flue would come out, will the hemlock still be in danger from the exhaust?

Any suggestions / diagrams on what type of pex lines to run underground?

Thanks,

JMann

The manual states that a flue cap should not be used as it restricts draw. If the branches are cut back enough so that there is no direct contact but still is above the flue (approx 10-15ft), is the tree in danger?

I'm not to the point of cutting down pine just yet (it's a hemlock not hickory). I was more concerned about the smoke output more than spark. but now that you mention spark, does a beehive cap allow for draft? I saw one on Greenwoods website and know that the two are alike in design.

No problem. Believe me, if it was hickory I'd have a hard time looking at it without feeling the urge to break out the chain saw.

I've decided to move the boiler to the opposite side of the garage. It will require more piping inside but the boiler won't be sending heat / smoke up into the canopy. It will also get a better draft there because there is nothing there to block it. Can anyone send a reply as to the difficulty of putting up a flue on their own?

Status
Not open for further replies.