flue damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepin in maine

Hearth Supporter
Dec 3, 2007
southern maine
whats the opinions on flue dampers?well.... first off whats there purpose?do you recommend them on an older airtight?my dad always ran one so i installed one when i put the stove in.i had found another forum before this one and they were dead set against them,so when i installed all new stove pipe i removed the damper.now i'm wondering if that was a good move.since i'm unsure of its purpose in life i don't know whether i'm missing something not having one.thanks......jeremy

I don't have one in my insert for obvious reasons. When I install the new free standing, I will use one. For me, it will be open most the time. More for in case of a run away to help choke the stove down. Also can be helpful with a taller chimney that drafts too good.

so its just to control draft...............doesn't reduce heat loss or anything.cool.overdraft is not an issue for me with my fabulous 16' outdoor masonry chimney.thanks hog

Nah not for heat loss, strictly to control draft. No problemo ;)

Acutally Hog in the old airtight inserts controlling heat loss was exactly what the dampers were for. Held the gases in the firebox longer so they had a chance to burn.

I stand corrected ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.