flue damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soninlaw

Nov 9, 2015
parkton md.
New to this wood burning expierence. Manual for my dutch west FA288ccl states to open flue damper when starting fire. Once fire is burning well close flue damper. My question: if flue damper is closed how does smoke get to chimney. Won't smoke back up into house

Dampers do not seal totally. I'm sure others will chime in but my opinion is it's best to leave your damper open and control fire with intake air. Less creosote buildup that way !

I believe that stove is a catalytic stove. There should be some information about that in the manual. The damper is closed in order to direct the exhaust through the secondary combustion chamber where various compounds in the smoke are re-burned by the catalyst. If you are burning properly seasoned wood, this process produces more heat from the stove and less creosote in the chimney. Since the catalyst produces more heat, you therefore use less wood when using it.

Wouldn't that be the bypass damper I believe he was talking about the flue damper

Sorry, I thought he was referring to the damper in the stove. Naturally, if the stove is vented into a chimney any sort of damper should be open. Though, a liner would improve any performance issues.

Sorry, I thought he was referring to the damper in the stove. Naturally, if the stove is vented into a chimney any sort of damper should be open. Though, a liner would improve any performance issues.
Op didn't mention any performance issues. Or type of chimney, ie lined or unlined.

Flue damper controls excess draft from chimney.
Yes, you start fire with it open, but setting will vary with chimney, connector pipe, weather and other factors. The damper controls the chimney which in turn affects the stove. Lighter than air hot gasses rise in the chimney causing low pressure area in stove and atmospheric pressure pushes air with oxygen into stove for combustion. The internal and external flue temperature differential is what causes exhaust to rise at different rates. Connector pipe, elbows, spark screen and cap all slow the rising gasses or decrease draft. The damper is a variable resistance you may or may not have to use depending on chimney, and other factors mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.