Flue for a suspended Focus fireplace...90 degree turn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akendall75

Jan 6, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
I work for an architect in St. Augustine, FL. Where a client wants to install a ceiling mounted, suspended fireplace by Focus. We want to know if it is possible to turn the flue 90 degrees after the first floor, in the 24" space between floors...so it turns and goes to the exterior wall to continue up?

I would say no, at least if this is a wood burner. After you penetrate the room envelope, you are not allowed greater than a 30 degree offset in the chimney pipe. Also, you want to be careful even if the 90 deg turn is in the room space. Long horizontal runs in flue pipe are discouraged because they really ruin draft and encourage creosote buildup. This could be especially problematic in a mild climate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fred Wright
I would say no, at least if this is a wood burner. After you penetrate the room envelope, you are not allowed greater than a 30 degree offset in the chimney pipe. Also, you want to be careful even if the 90 deg turn is in the room space. Long horizontal runs in flue pipe are discouraged because they really ruin draft and encourage creosote buildup. This could be especially problematic in a mild climate.
That's what we were thinking.
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum akendall75.

If you do run horizontal, be advised that code calls for a 1/4" rise in the flue per horizontal foot. Better yet is 1/2" rise per foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.