Flue gas temps for FireView

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charly

When running my Fireview at a .5 draft setting, my cat glowing and my stove top is @450,,, I'm seeing a flue gas temp of 350 degrees. Is this too low? Will I be leaving deposits at the last foot of my 22 ft lined and insulated masonry chimney?

From what I have read, if that cat is activated then you are good-to-go, the creoste forming gases burned in the cat and converted them to heat.

That's right about where my flue temps are charly and my stack is still clean as a whistle! I just checked my stove and it's at 550° and my flue temps are at 350° with my draft setting between .5~.75.

OK thanks,,, just wanted to confirm I wasn't creating a problem.

That's right about where my flue temps are charly and my stack is still clean as a whistle! I just checked my stove and it's at 550° and my flue temps are at 350° with my draft setting between .5~.75.
You are using a flue probe, not surface temps, correct?

You are using a flue probe, not surface temps, correct?

Oh sorry, no I'm checking surface temps. I didn't realize you were using a flue probe, sorry charly.

Oh sorry, no I'm checking surface temps. I didn't realize you were using a flue probe, sorry charly.
So they say you double the surface temp to convert to flue gas temp. You'd be at 700? Maybe I am too low?

I didn't read the last two words of your original post, I have a stainless steel chimney so I shouldn't have even replied to this thread. I have to finish reading threads before posting..... o_O

So they say you double the surface temp to convert to flue gas temp. You'd be at 700? Maybe I am too low?
I do find that if I go from .75 (Which is almost smothering the fire) to 1. my flue temps jump about 150~200° so you might want to try a setting of 1. and see what that does for you. It makes a huge difference for me.

When running my Fireview at a .5 draft setting, my cat glowing and my stove top is @450,,, I'm seeing a flue gas temp of 350 degrees. Is this too low? Will I be leaving deposits at the last foot of my 22 ft lined and insulated masonry chimney?
When the 30 is going, my surface temps on my flue/pipe are that or lower. Same could be said for the Vigilant and Defiant that ran from the same chimney. I think you are fine as it regards to it being too low.

I do find that if I go from .75 (Which is almost smothering the fire) to 1. my flue temps jump about 150~200° so you might want to try a setting of 1. and see what that does for you. It makes a huge difference for me.
Yes , I agree that does make a big difference.

When the 30 is going, my surface temps on my flue/pipe are that or lower. Same could be said for the Vigilant and Defiant that ran from the same chimney. I think you are fine as it regards to it being too low.
Are surface temps on a single wall pipe and flue gas temps, pretty close?

Guys, what do I not understand about catalytic combustors? I thought they are either on or off. Can they be on and if they are not getting enough air they can clog and let creosote forming gases up the flue?

MnDave

By gas temps, I am assuming you are measuring internal pipe temps. I believe the internal temps are about twice that of the surface temps. I think that is how it works.

Guys, what do I not understand about catalytic combustors? I thought they are either on or off. Can they be on and if they are not getting enough air they can clog and let creosote forming gases up the flue?

MnDave

When the cat is engaged it burns the smoke that is created when it isn't the smoke passes through and goes up the chimney just like an ordinary stove. It really doesn't have much to do with the lack of air, the cat needs to be cranking hot to re-burn the smoke that's all.

I may be wrong but a surface reading of 300 is 600 in the flue.

By gas temps, I am assuming you are measuring internal pipe temps. I believe the internal temps are about twice that of the surface temps. I think that is how it works.
Yes I have a flue probe , measuring internal flue temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.