Flue Gas Temps vs. Stove Top Temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimney Smoke

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2013
Maine
My past experience has been with a magnetic stove pipe thermometer on single wall pipe. Now I have a probe style (Condor) stove pipe thermometer on double wall. I usually see stove top temps get to right around 700 on a full reload. With the new thermometer I'm seeing 450-500 degree flue gas temps with a 700 stove top reading and rolling secondaries. Is this similar to what others see or is my flue probe reading a little on the low side.

On startup my stack temps will almost mimic stove top till about 400-500F, then stack will raise a bit faster till I shut things down with a stack around 7-800F and stovetop around 550 ish. At cruise, my stove and stack are very similar to yours. Stovetop around 550ish and stack around 3-400F probe temp.

Sure sounds low to me. My flue temps on the non-cats were always quite high and always the same or higher (usually much higher) than the stove top. The fancy cat stove has much lower flue temps.

Our simple non-cat flue temps run between the same or about 100F below the stove top temps. Sounds like your Lopi is burning just about perfectly.

Sure sounds low to me.
It took a while to figure out that sweet spot and DOES require a little more fiddling with adjustments to tweak it to run that way, but I can consistently hit those numbers. As long as stove top stays at or above 550ish, the secondaries are working and no smoke. It does require an extra primary air adjustment (open to about 10%) at the middle to end of the coaling stage though. Its in the order of 100% open - get to temps - two thirds closed, monitor stack - at 7-800 stack, slam it down to zero on primary (will coast down to 350-400ish stack and stay there for quite a while). Towards end of coaling, open up to about 10% primary till reload time.

I don't do anything special, just turn down the air and the stove falls into a groove. 650F stove top and 600F flue that drops down to about 550F after the initial gas bloom burns off. Note that stove top temps are with the blower off which is our normal mode of operation. Stove was lit about 5 hrs ago and the stove top is now at 525F with flue at 375F.

Our simple non-cat flue temps run between the same or about 100F below the stove top temps. Sounds like your Lopi is burning just about perfectly.

It does burn pretty well. The cruise temp is 600-700 stovetop. The flue seems to peak around 500-550 and then settle around 450-500. I guess I was just expecting to see the flue temps a bit higher after a reload.

Status
Not open for further replies.