Flue/insert what to do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dvd1217

Feb 12, 2023
NYC
Hi, I’m trying to understand what happens with install with existing flue? Meaning does the flue get removed and the 6” line get put in for an insert but wouldn’t there be cold around around stove then. I’m sure there is a remedy I’m just a novice when it comes to stoves and inserts. Enclosed are photos of my flue opened and closed in existing fireplace before insert install. Looking at Kuma cascade, Montlake 230, regency 2500. I’ve heard good things about PE but with no credit I feel like not worth it.
Thanks!

66B7C880-41B3-441B-A6A3-28BFB914C5DF.jpeg DFC03AB5-3705-4EBF-B001-F5B2EA858337.jpeg

After the chimney and smoke shelf have been thoroughly cleaned the insulated liner is installed. If it fits, nothing is done to the chimney's existing tile liner. The damper may need to be notched or removed to clear the liner. If the insulated liner doesn't fit well due to a narrow chimney tile, then the tile liner either needs to be ovalized or removed.

The Montlake 230 also does not qualify for the tax credit. The only non-cat that does is the Lopi Evergreen insert. You might also want to consider a Blaze King insert.

After the chimney and smoke shelf have been thoroughly cleaned the insulated liner is installed. If it fits, nothing is done to the chimney's existing tile liner. The damper may need to be notched or removed to clear the liner. If the insulated liner doesn't fit well due to a narrow chimney tile, then the tile liner either needs to be ovalized or removed.

The Montlake 230 also does not qualify for the tax credit. The only non-cat that does is the Lopi Evergreen insert. You might also want to consider a Blaze King insert.
Thanks for response, regar

Thanks for the response regarding the liner. The installer had stated based on models I was looking at and my chimney height (16feet) I wouldn’t need double walled liner, whereas blaze king does require it. I believe he said just a stainless steel liner. Not sure if that is the S.O.P.. also trying to understand your comment the opening in flue when opened is about 6 inches by 15 inches so wouldn’t there be a gap where cold air can make contact with insert and stove. Lastly see photo I got from Montlake website.

AE055697-D5B2-4E9C-B294-BDE258F0806F.png

You will want and insulated liner. You can wrap an uninsulated liner or buy pre-insulated. The pre insulated looks like a double wall. Code requires 2” of clearance to combustibles like framing and roof decking for an interior chimney and 1” for exterior. If you don’t meet clearances then code says you are required to install and insulated liner.

Liner is different than stove pipe that comes in single and double wall.

Cold air is sealed with and insulated blockoff plate.

Thanks for the response regarding the liner. The installer had stated based on models I was looking at and my chimney height (16feet) I wouldn’t need double walled liner, whereas blaze king does require it. I believe he said just a stainless steel liner. Not sure if that is the S.O.P.. also trying to understand your comment the opening in flue when opened is about 6 inches by 15 inches so wouldn’t there be a gap where cold air can make contact with insert and stove. Lastly see photo I got from Montlake website.

View attachment 310480
Code dictates whether a liner needs to be insulated, not chimney height. An interior chimney needs to have 2" clearance from any and ll combustibles, all the way up. An exterior chimney needs 1" separation. If the chimney does not have this clearance then an insulated liner is required. An insulated liner provides greater safety and performance, particularly for catalytic stoves.

To top of the chimney gets capped but the best thing to keep the fireplace area around the insert warmer is an insulated block-off plate sealing the damper area. This can make a notable heating improvement with exterior wall fireplace installations. This costs extra, but the performance gain is usually worth it.

Reactions: Grandpa Ray
Code dictates whether a liner needs to be insulated, not chimney height. An interior chimney needs to have 2" clearance from any and ll combustibles, all the way up. An exterior chimney needs 1" separation. If the chimney does not have this clearance then an insulated liner is required. An insulated liner provides greater safety and performance, particularly for catalytic stoves.

To top of the chimney gets capped but the best thing to keep the fireplace area around the insert warmer is an insulated block-off plate sealing the damper area. This can make a notable heating improvement with exterior wall fireplace installations. This costs extra, but the performance gain is usually worth it.
Thanks that clears things up alot. I have an exterior wall chimney so sounds like I definitely want an insulated block off plate. I now understand how the insulated liner works. It basically wraps around the corrugated or smooth stove piping. Great stuff. Did you see the Montlake 230 non cat qualifies?

AFAIK, the Montlake 230 does not qualify for the EPA tax credit.

AFAIK, the Montlake 230 does not qualify for the EPA tax credit.
Hi following up with the chimney. It’s about 15’ and it exterior chimney. The installer said he covers the top and bottom creating a pocket basically in the chimney for the pipe to run but doesn’t put a insulated liner around pipe. Does this method seem sound? I thought I’ve been reading the insulated liner would have keep the temp of pipe and better draft.

Can you guarantee that there is 2" of air between the chimney and anything combustible? This is often hard to do on the side of the chimney that touches the house. If not, than you need an insulated liner.

I haven't seen mention of wood. Do you have space to store wood for it to dry? Many wood sellers don't sell dry wood. They'll call it seasoned, but it is still too wet to burn. It can take 2 years for wood to dry depending on the species. This will lead to extra creosote buildup in the liner and possibly poor draft. An insulated liner also helps the liner keep warm, lowering creosote buildup.

While figuring out the stove, you might want to get wood put up to start drying.