Flue pipe thermometer for insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newstove

Mar 25, 2009
Central MA
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but I couldn't find it if it was. :cheese:

I've been around wood stoves quite a bit, but never owned one of my own. Well, after some research and hunting around, we just purchased a Quadra-fire 4100i insert for our fireplace (should be installed in a few weeks.) Appears to be a decent price, plus the tax credit will be nice as it qualifies (or, is supposed to qualify anyway.)

One thing I've always seen used was the flue pipe thermometers. But, with an insert, it's more difficult to get one visible.

Does anyone make any thermometers that can be connected to the flue pipe via a remote sensor or somesuch? I haven't been able to find one yet.

Also, should I get a thermometer for the top/face of the insert as well (or, if there is no such little beastie for the flue pipe, instead of?) What would be the ideal location for a thermometer on the top/face of an insert?

Thanks everyone!

I am on my second insert. With the first I used a magnetic one that I just put on the door. Current insert has no place for a therm. on the door as it is a steel box with cast iron on top and a layer of air between the two. I heard about IR (Infrared thermometer) here and got one of my own and use it as a guide. I take temps. from the top of the firebox where the blower air exits.

I am not familiar with the unit you are purchasing. I am sure someone will jump in a give you more accurate info. than I have.

I have never taken the temp. on the flue as both inserts have/had surrounds that block off the flue...no way to access it. NEver had a problem with the temps. I get with therm. I do use. No damper on inserts so why check the flue temp.....

Good luck and enjoy your new insert. They are very good looking units and have a good reputation.

Thanks for the ideas. I was hoping to find something already made - surely, someone has to make a thermometer with a remote sensor/thermocouple that is usable for a wood stove insert to read flue temperatures, right?

If not, sounds like a potential business opportunity - maybe I'll look into it. ;-)

I have been thinking about this also. You could certianly install a pyrometer. What range would be needed? What temp. do flue gases get to? If you did not want to insert the thermocouple "into" the flue, I suppose you could gently band clamp a contact probe on the outside of the flue (liner). Isspro makes lots of pyrometers mainly for diesel engines (my engine has one). Most are 0* to 1500* or 300* to 1800* but one is here http://www.isspro.com/proddetail.php?prod=R614 for 0* to 600*.

Steve

What I'd like to do is put one of the magnetic thermometers on the flue - like most people do with free-standing wood stoves - so I can see the flue temperature at any given time.

But, of course, that would be pointless, since you can't see it with an insert.

Thus, I was looking for something I could attach that would give me roughly the same readings, but that I could see remotely.

I'm not sure if I want to insert something into the flue or not, though I guess that would be an option...

So, I just found this on eBay, and it looks for what I am looking for. I'll have to put a fitting onto the flue pipe and attach the thermocouple into it. All I need to do is create a small 12V supply and case for it... ;-)

Posting so that it may help out others looking for something similar. They also have versions that have no probe if you want to supply your own, they support a bunch of different types of probes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DIGI...62QQcategoryZ46100QQihZ010QQitemZ200323393067

The one shown on E bay requires 12 VDC, not the best choice IMO, they have another model that works on 120VAC that would be better.
That's the one I used ( the one on the right). The drawback with the Auber is you have to add separate peizo buzzer, relay and push button switch for an alarm that you can silence.

The one on the left is a Cole Parmer unit, that has a high and low temp alarm built in.

I wouldn't worry about drilling a hole in the flue for a temp probe, it's only a small 1/8 hole.

PS I am in the process of building another one ( Cole Parmer controller) If any one wants one LMK.

Attachments

• Picture 171.jpg
    Picture 171.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,236
  • Picture 170.jpg
    Picture 170.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,829
Not the least of the problems you will run into with a insert is that the liner is corrugated. No flat surface anywhere for a sensor to lay flat for accurate temp measurement. And virtually impossible to get a good seal for an attached probe thermo.

And any magnetic unit is out the window because they won't stick to stainless steel.

Other than that. No problems. :coolsmirk:

Actually, I chose the 12V one on purpose. I'm going to make it transformer/battery powered. That way, I can power it with a simple set of small cells in case of a power outage, and don't have to worry about having an inverter/etc. just for it. ;-)

I don't care about the alarm - I just want to be able to see the flue temp...

Another question though - any ideal distance up the flue that I should put the sensor?

I was not thinking about a battery back up with the 12 vdc model, makes sense.

I think you should give some consideration to adding an alarm. All you need is a peizo buzzer, relay and a momentary push button switch. There have been many posts from people who forgot to close the door, or left the air open too long and had the stove over heat. I know the high temp alarm warned me many times when the stove was getting too hot.

I don't think the placement of the probe is that critical, aground 18" up form the stove should be fine.

Yeah, an alarm is probably not a bad idea. The important thing is to get the sensor in there during the install - I can modify the rest of the unit anytime pretty easily...

So, here is what I wound up with. It's a nice little remote thermometer for the flue stack, with a 13' thermocouple lead, and runs off of a 12V DC power source (consumes ~1 watt.)

Cost was < $100 total. I will now be able to monitor my flue temperature of my insert quite easily... w00t! w00t!

Attachments

• Remote Thermo.jpg
    Remote Thermo.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,176
I think you might find the thermocouple too short to give accurate measurements. A boundary layer often forms near the pipe wall that can be many hundreds of degrees cooler than the main exhaust flow temp. I did some testing on my insert with flex pipe several years ago using my VOM w/K type thermocouple attached. It confirmed that temps near the the wall are much cooler than toward the center of the pipe. I even inserted the thermocouple at an angle to prevent air being drawn into the probe hole from influencing the results.

Auberins.com has a high temp probe (http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=22) for ~$20. It is a 10" probe, so one would have to limit the insertion amount with a compression fitting perhaps.

The way I look at it is that it is just as accurate as a magnetic thermometer attached to the flue pipe. More so in fact I have found in practice.

I like my current setup after using it because I can see the flue pipe temp even though the insert is all buttoned up with the surround installed. Try that with a magnetic flue pipe thermometer and an insert. ;-)

This is a great thread. I like the electronic units but I'm not sure where to install the controller without it looking too industrial.

All you really need to see is the display, which can be in a smaller package. The electronics can reside in a box on the floor behind the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.