Flue Plate Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kniffin50

Aug 9, 2008
in the notch- ct.
How much more heat will I gain out the front of the stove and side vents If I install one.Right now I have Regencey middle sized insert into a stainless steel 6" liner straight up to the top of a 16' chimmney.Will it get to hot? The chimmney is an outside one but it is in an enclosed breezeway so it does keep it warm out there.Thanks-you guys have been very helpful.
Rusty

you mean a block off plate right?
where the liner turns and heads up the fireplace...?
its a good idea for safety and heat retention, draft est........ esp if its a free standing unit.
if its an insert, check the book.. or an insert guru will comment...but i think generally its a good/efficent idea.

mine was a pain, but thats cause i'm impatient.
i made 2 seperate pcs, out of cardboard first, both with half circles cut in the center, and overlapping seems. (after 20 sheets of cardboard i got it good.)
then cut the sheet metal, some screws, some clear high temp silicone and your good.

The losses to outdoors from an exterior chimney can be significant. It's hard to quantify, but we've had folks reporting back that adding a block-off plate in an exterior chimney made the difference between their stoves being able to heat the house or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.