flue sizing - heatilator removal and install vermont castings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jessem218

May 16, 2015
north benxd wa
We have a heatilator novus gndc currently installed in our house. We would like to replace it with a Vermont Castings unit that we already own. The Vermont Castings unit has 4" inner and 7" outter direct vent. I will not know what the existing piping diameter is until we remove the Heatilator, the Heatilator manual does not call out what size is required. If the existing piping is larger say 5"i.d. and 8"o.d. can I connect to the existing pipe during the install of the Vermont Castings or will I have to replace that as well?

First, you need to determine which way the venting on the Novus goes. Vertical? Horizontal? Both? Depending on the age of your Novus, it may or may not have Simpson DuraVent gas venting. You should be able to tell what size it is from inside the firebox. The opening for the exhaust will either be 4 or 7... If it has 4" DuraVent you should be set, with some additional components...Your VC requires 4x7 & 5x8 is not adaptable to the smaller system, unless it is specifically spelled out in the owners/install manual. You will probably have to replace all of the venting, including the wall thimble & cap (horizontal vent) or the firestops, roof flashing storm collar & cap (vertical vent).

First, you need to determine which way the venting on the Novus goes. Vertical? Horizontal? Both? Depending on the age of your Novus, it may or may not have Simpson DuraVent gas venting. You should be able to tell what size it is from inside the firebox. The opening for the exhaust will either be 4 or 7... If it has 4" DuraVent you should be set, with some additional components...Your VC requires 4x7 & 5x8 is not adaptable to the smaller system, unless it is specifically spelled out in the owners/install manual. You will probably have to replace all of the venting, including the wall thimble & cap (horizontal vent) or the firestops, roof flashing storm collar & cap (vertical vent).

The vent goes vertical out of the top of the box about 7 feet, then 90s and runs horizontal about 7 feet. How can I tell if it has duravent components? So if I understand correctly if the existing has 4 inch exhaust I can use it but if it has 5 then I need to replace it?

You probably won't be able to tell if it's Duravent until you pull the unit.
Can you see the rating plate to see what the year of manufacture is/was?
It should be located on a sticker on the floor in the valve cavity.

Just might be Duravent. All you need to do is figure out if it's 5" or 4...
I don't think they used DuraVent based on what I have seen and the pictures of duravent online. So if it is 5 inch inner can I hook up to it with a increaser piece? The fireplace I want to install has a 4" exhaust. I would think that going into a bigger pipe would be ok....?

If there IS a 4x6-5/8 to 5x8 adapter available AND it is APPROVED in the venting diagrams in the install manual, the answer is yes.
The install manual tells you what has been tested on your unit & what passed those testing procedures.
I will not tell you otherwise. This is a gas burning appliance that gives off a deadly by-product of combustion (CO).
If you use venting that is NOT APPROVED by the manufacturer, the results can be deadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.