Flue temperatures?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kyguylal

Oct 6, 2018
New Hampshire
Hi sorry, I searched and found a bunch of threads, but I'm still a bit confused.

I have a single wall stove pipe, 10' straight shot through the roof to a 6' class A chimney.

I have a magnet thermometer on the stove and I just picked up an IR thermometer.

What should the flue temperature be during the smoking stage of my burn? I know that i should roughly double the surface reading to get the internal, but I'm mixing up what i should be getting.

Burning three year pine, two year oak, and bio bricks. The oak is marginal at 20-22% moisture, but it's what I have. No trouble getting the stove top temperature to 600.

Got seven cords stacked since last year for next year already!

What do you mean by "smoking stage?" I think you always have a least a little flame with a secondary-burn stove.
I think you don't want to exceed about 500 on the surface of the pipe at any time, 18" above the stove flue exit.
Yeah, it's not optimal but you can get away with 20-22%. Good work on the cordage stacked so far! :cool:

Start turning down the air when the stove pipe surface reaches about 250º, 24" above the stove top.