Flue Tie-In Possible

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jonebravo

Feb 5, 2024
South Carolina
Hi, new to site.
Our house was built mid 1980's, and we have an existing fireplace with a metal pipe flue, I'm guessing multi-walled. We do not use this fireplace at all due to location but it can be as everything is in good shape.
I have a natural gas tankless water heater with a 4" flue I would like to install, but a chimney path is somewhat difficult.
I can access the rear of the existing fireplace and flue through a porch wall, and that location is where I am considering for placement of the water heater.
I do not wish to disconnect the existing flue from the fireplace.
My question is this:
Is there a method for splicing in the water heater flue to the fireplace flue? Some connection apparatus, pipe attachment, method, etc?

The water heater flue is smaller than the fireplace flue.

Hi, new to site.
Our house was built mid 1980's, and we have an existing fireplace with a metal pipe flue, I'm guessing multi-walled. We do not use this fireplace at all due to location but it can be as everything is in good shape.
I have a natural gas tankless water heater with a 4" flue I would like to install, but a chimney path is somewhat difficult.
I can access the rear of the existing fireplace and flue through a porch wall, and that location is where I am considering for placement of the water heater.
I do not wish to disconnect the existing flue from the fireplace.
My question is this:
Is there a method for splicing in the water heater flue to the fireplace flue? Some connection apparatus, pipe attachment, method, etc?

The water heater flue is smaller than the fireplace flue.
Nope can't be done