Flue top

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mrpee

Jan 8, 2015
NorCal
as I was looking at mine, dreading going up the ladder on the 13 in 12 in pitch roof I wondered what kind of flue caps do ppl use. Mine is a Selkirk but I need more sq in of opening. My pipe is 20 ft long.

If it's a class-a selkirk chimney you're probably going to need a cap that is approved for the particular type of pipe. Your local HVAC supplier may be able to help with that.

I ment the cap was a Selkirk, the pipe is Metalbestos from pre 1977 when we moved in the house. The cap clamps on with a ring at bottom. I just need something with larger openings because that’s where the smoke condenses and makes kreasote.

I ment the cap was a Selkirk, the pipe is Metalbestos from pre 1977 when we moved in the house. The cap clamps on with a ring at bottom. I just need something with larger openings because that’s where the smoke condenses and makes kreasote.

Selkirk makes metalbestos pipe so it's probably the right cap. Any cap will be where the creosote condenses the most because it's metal and it's exposed to the elements and it's the coldest part of the chimney. Every chimney I clean, including my own usually has more buildup in the cap and upper sections of the chimney. If it's the cap that has the metal band around the center you could remove the band completely and leave the screen underneath it in place.

Selkirk makes metalbestos pipe so it's probably the right cap. Any cap will be where the creosote condenses the most because it's metal and it's exposed to the elements and it's the coldest part of the chimney. Every chimney I clean, including my own usually has more buildup in the cap and upper sections of the chimney. If it's the cap that has the metal band around the center you could remove the band completely and leave the screen underneath it in place.