Flush Mount clearance advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cmcguigan

Mar 9, 2017
Charlotte nc
Im in the process of picking an insert to go in our upstairs area. My concern is clearance to combustible, the home was built in '79. The hearth is 16" and I have a sectional couch, the chaise part will end up being about 20 to 25" from the stove off to the side not directly in front of. I know US standards are 16" but Ive noticed Lopi recommends 36" from the front of the stove.

Thanks for the input,
Chris

Side clearances are listed in the manual for the insert. 25" is close, but may be ok for some completely flush inserts.

Front clearance for any stove or insert should be at least 36". This is not the same as the 16" hearth requirement.

Last edited:
36" is pretty standard clearance for things such as drapes, couches, or furnishings.