"Fog" on insert glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hilly

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2006
Vancouver Island, Canada
After I have burned my stove for the day, I get a white fog on the inside of the glass. It seems to start at the center and then gradually fogs up. When the stove cools I can simply wipe it off. It looks like moisture, but isn't and it's not the dark coloured creosote I would expect on glass.

The wood I burn is well seasoned and I keep the stove quite hot, although the fog tends to increase as the fire gets low. I have been burning 24/7 for the last six weeks or so. (except, of course, when I need to clean!)

I was wondering if anyone has had this occur before and if I could do anything about it (aside from letting the stove cool and clean it)?

I get something similar once in a while. It seems to happen if I rush through cleaning the glass and don't dry it well.

I usually use vinegar and hot water to clean the glass. If it's a little too warm when I clean and any of the solution drys on the glass it appears clean but does 'fog' a little after burning for a while.

I use to get that on my old stove. Nothing I could do to prevent it. Hot fires will take some off, but not all. Just got use to it and did a weekly cleaning.

I get that sometimes. I think it may be related to wet wood. Not unseasoned, but wood that has a little moisture from rainwater. Nothing conclusive though. It seems to wipe off easy enough with water.

It's ash, my stove (insert) especially when I'm burning pine will get covered initially with black creosote when first starting out on a fresh load, once it gets up to temp the soot will burn off and the glass will be clear with just a fog or haze of ash left behind, easily wipes off when cool..

T

Thanks for the thoughts. I never considered it could be ash, so I have tried piling the coals in the middle of the stove and not pulling them quite so far forward. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.