For Smokers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I was a smoker for over 20 years. No amateur either. I smoked a pack and half to two packs a day. Last September, I bought an ecigarette. These things work. I have completely quit real cigarettes. I now breath better, have no cough, the house doesn't smell like smoke etc. If you google for information on these, you may see where the FDA claims they are as dangerous as realy cigarettes. This isn't true and after two companies sued the FDA the court made the FDA admit that they were as safe as other nicotine replacement products.

I bought the Joy510 and I like it. At first I bought the 11mg strength juice and went from 2 packs a day to about 5 cigarettes a day. After about two weeks I bought the 24mg juice and completely quit. I have since lowered the strength I use.

http://www.myfreedomsmokes.com Enter smoke in the coupon code to get 40% off. They are located in NC

http://www.heaven-gifts.com They are located in China. Get EMS shipping and you will receive the order in about a week.

I'm not affiliated with either website. I'm just a very happy exsmoker.

The batteries are rechargeable, but they wear out after about a month and half. PM and I can give you information about better ecigarettes, but the Joy510 is a great start and the cost is about 40 dollars for a kit and the juice runs me about 5 dollars a week, much less than real cigarettes.

I'm not a smoker, but, like many others, have people in my life who do smoke (and who I'd love to see quit).

Can these ecigarettes be used to step yourself down off of the nicotine over time to quit completely?

-SF

Sly, that's a good question. I have tried about everything over the years to quit and nicotine is a very addictive drug. It's not any worse for you than caffeine. They both are mild stimulants. Many people who use nicotine gum or lozenges get hooked on them.

You can step yourself down on nicotine with these ecigs. The common nicotine strenghts they sell are 24mg, 18mg, 12mg, 6mg, and 0mg. I have worked my way down to 6mg. I can use the 0mg for four or five hours, but then I need nicotine. I can say the 6mg is far weaker than real cigarette, and I notice I don't have the "I have to have a smoke feeling" as soon as I wake up in the morning, but I haven't completely quit the nicotine.

Why I recommend these, is because they are the only thing I have found that has aloud me to stop real cigarettes without going through absolute hell. You can buy an ecig kit and a bottle of juice for about $50.00. That's about what someone who smokes spends on cigarettes in a week.

Congratulations! I'm all in favor of whatever works. You do feel so much better after quitting. I'm now 6 years from my last cigarette after 40 years of a pack and a half a day. As the old saying goes, I quit in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. I don't recommend a heart attack as a technique for quitting but it sure gets your attention. I was two days in the hospital without a cigarette and said to myself when I got out, "let's see if I can do it for one more day"......and, then, one more day after that. Mind you, I'm not a crusader on the subject. I don't mind being around smokers but, if you can quit, you'll ask yourself why you didn't do it sooner.
ChipTam

I know what you mean Chip. I fell off the wagon once. Not real bad. I was at a bar and the battery died on the thing, so I bummed a couple of cigs. The next morning my sinuses were killing me.

I congratulate you for trying to quit. I quit in the 70"s and so glad I did, but my wife continued until about 10 years ago. She tried before and even sucked me into buying her a fur coat to stop and she started up before winter was over. But it is so nice to not smell smoke in her hair, the furniture, my car etc. I remember watching my father die a slow agonizing death from smoking, it's not pretty. The last several years quit a few people I know that are my age died from lung cancer and some are fighting it. So glad I gave them up, besides it's a very expensive habit now.

Status
Not open for further replies.