For those of you who complain about their roof.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
This is what I am dealing with this mourning trying to beat the thunderstorms coming in at noon.

I complain about my roof but for a different reason... picture is from me standing on my roof near the front looking towards the back on the right. That is my shop in the back.

Attachments

• 6FF6784A-D6F2-445F-BA0F-80D14601418C.jpeg
    6FF6784A-D6F2-445F-BA0F-80D14601418C.jpeg
    382.5 KB · Views: 151
I complain about my roof but for a different reason... picture is from me standing on my roof near the front looking towards the back on the right. That is my shop in the back.
I would love to know more about your house!

I would love to know more about your house!

Let’s see... we purchased it a year ago. lady we purchased from said it was built in 1992 (she was second owner and this was just one of the many misleading things she said). Toilets, range hood, and original neighborhood all said 1983 for build date. Mine is the 3rd house built with this style here. Original neighbor had her house built and sold some of their land to some friends who build mine and the other one.

House faces South to South East. Picture above is looking north-ish. house is about 2100 sqft. It includes a 1 car garage that was converted to living space. Ceiling, side walls, and back wall are all monolithic poured concrete. I guess 8-10” thick. Load bearing walls that are north to south and the front wall are cinder block. They used a few round metal posts for support in some of the framed walls (only have a few since most are concrete). There is about 1.5-2 ft of dirt/rock on top of the house. It is build like a walkout basement but instead of a second floorI have dirt.

so far it is the MOST comfortable house I have ever lived in. Humidity is easily managed with a whole house dehumidifier. No drafts except for the old original windows. Had it tested with a blower door test and the guy said it was by far the lowest leak rate he has ever seen.

The other night it was warm and I stepped out to pee around 11. I could feel the wind picking up so I checked the weather. Sever storm warning. I opened the blinds and the door of my master (I have a screen door) and fell asleep. Wife and I woke up to tornado sirens. Went right back to sleep without a worry b/c we live in a bomb shelter.

I have had to tear out a bunch of Sheetrock to replace the Ductwork, run new electrical lines, install bathroom exhaust and kitchen exhaust (can’t exactly vent out the roof so pipe design is fun). Property was not maintained well so I have had to remove a bunch of trees and dirt.Still a bunch of work left but it is slowly coming together as I get time and money. I can share some pictures of it if you want but I don’t have them on this phone. Any questions you were wanting answered?

interesting, and yes share more pics! what made you choose the house?

Let’s see... we purchased it a year ago. lady we purchased from said it was built in 1992 (she was second owner and this was just one of the many misleading things she said). Toilets, range hood, and original neighborhood all said 1983 for build date. Mine is the 3rd house built with this style here. Original neighbor had her house built and sold some of their land to some friends who build mine and the other one.

House faces South to South East. Picture above is looking north-ish. house is about 2100 sqft. It includes a 1 car garage that was converted to living space. Ceiling, side walls, and back wall are all monolithic poured concrete. I guess 8-10” thick. Load bearing walls that are north to south and the front wall are cinder block. They used a few round metal posts for support in some of the framed walls (only have a few since most are concrete). There is about 1.5-2 ft of dirt/rock on top of the house. It is build like a walkout basement but instead of a second floorI have dirt.

so far it is the MOST comfortable house I have ever lived in. Humidity is easily managed with a whole house dehumidifier. No drafts except for the old original windows. Had it tested with a blower door test and the guy said it was by far the lowest leak rate he has ever seen.

The other night it was warm and I stepped out to pee around 11. I could feel the wind picking up so I checked the weather. Sever storm warning. I opened the blinds and the door of my master (I have a screen door) and fell asleep. Wife and I woke up to tornado sirens. Went right back to sleep without a worry b/c we live in a bomb shelter.

I have had to tear out a bunch of Sheetrock to replace the Ductwork, run new electrical lines, install bathroom exhaust and kitchen exhaust (can’t exactly vent out the roof so pipe design is fun). Property was not maintained well so I have had to remove a bunch of trees and dirt.Still a bunch of work left but it is slowly coming together as I get time and money. I can share some pictures of it if you want but I don’t have them on this phone. Any questions you were wanting answered?
I've heard of houses like these. Very neat. My wife is jealous of the tomb like silence you enjoy.

We had quite a few like that built in our area. But I can only think of one now that hasn't had a house built on top of it. The guy building them here didn't insulate outside of the concrete. He also apparently didn't seal them well enough. The one that is left was completely dug up insulated and sealed. I did work in it and they absolutely loved it after fixing it very easy to heat and really no need for ac.

We had quite a few like that built in our area. But I can only think of one now that hasn't had a house built on top of it. The guy building them here didn't insulate outside of the concrete. He also apparently didn't seal them well enough. The one that is left was completely dug up insulated and sealed. I did work in it and they absolutely loved it after fixing it very easy to heat and really no need for ac.

I think the discussion moved a bit...
I know they insulated and sealed this house just not sure how and how much. I do have one leak in the back wall (likely from a giant oak behind the house that I removed) and I have leaks along the retaining wall on the front of the house; this is causing some water to come down into the house on the front. It is a quiet house. Cooling is significantly reduced but still needed. I do spend money on dehumidification though. Heating is more than I expected. Still cheaper than my other houses but not as great as you would think. Eventually I will pull up the roof and reseal and insulate it. I expect this will be a huge improvement but finding the money, time, and people willing to do the work is going to be a feat.

I’ll post a few pictures soon. Can’t figure out how to download from google photos and post with this stupid iPhone. I miss my Android at times like this.

I could imagine these don't always turn out.

Some of these pictures are before we purchased the house and/or fixed some things. I have removed a lot of trees and moved dirt in various places. Inside I have done a lot as well. A few before and after of the living room. You can see a spot on the wall in the dining room that leaks a bit of water during long rains and also the corner of the LR that gets moisture in the wall from the retaining wall.

Attachments

• IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 20190522_160807.jpg
    20190522_160807.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 108
  • ISxbrkyd8qscmd1000000000.jpg
    ISxbrkyd8qscmd1000000000.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 114
  • ISekw6j80qciqb0000000000.jpg
    ISekw6j80qciqb0000000000.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 107
  • ISh7l8stzwk97d1000000000.jpg
    ISh7l8stzwk97d1000000000.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 20180730_161155.jpg
    20180730_161155.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 20180730_153659.jpg
    20180730_153659.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: K-Mac
second set

Attachments

• IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IShzmwx00acimd1000000000.jpg
    IShzmwx00acimd1000000000.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 92
  • ISl6bjq1gbb7od1000000000.jpg
    ISl6bjq1gbb7od1000000000.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IS1n1umnsqpa0mb.jpg
    IS1n1umnsqpa0mb.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 20180730_151140.jpg
    20180730_151140.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: K-Mac
The return grille needs to be relocated. It has to be at least 10' away from the wood stove.

The return grille needs to be relocated. It has to be at least 10' away from the wood stove.
It was a return grille directly to unit originally. Now it is just a crossover/transfer grille to the furnace closet. Meets code.

It was a return grille directly to unit originally. Now it is just a crossover/transfer grille to the furnace closet. Meets code.
Ah, that's good. I do sort of remember you had quite a mess to clean up. It looks a lot better.

To the comments regarding the OP. Remember that there were plenty of men who built those houses and chimneys that worked every day with no manlifts or any safety restraints of any kind. Worked every day and never gave it a thought. Takes a different breed.

To the comments regarding the OP. Remember that there were plenty of men who built those houses and chimneys that worked every day with no manlifts or any safety restraints of any kind. Worked every day and never gave it a thought. Takes a different breed.

True. I did ironwork for 15 years and i can tell ya when a guy falls 40 feet it aint pretty. A guy i knew from jersey fell and it basically crushed all his ribs.....he wheres what is essentially a girdle now. Gotta have respect for heights.

There are plenty of us that still do it as well. But given my choice would pick a nice low pitch ranch to work on.

Reactions: Ludlow