For those up North..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thank you Tower! I'm in southern WI and we're forecast for actual lows of -28 and -31 for Tuesday and Wednesday - wind chills around -55. I'm as prepared as I can be - I've been setting aside my nicest pieces of White Oak for a few weeks now thinking that I should save them for really cold weather - well this is it!!!

With these lows folks might be wishing for a larger stove.

Rich - I was actually thinking I wish I had a second stove in the basement. I have a second flue connection down there, just never connected anything to it.

I have a LP furnace for backup and it really hasn't been run this year except to test it at the beginning of the season - I do think that will be called into service in the next few days!

Reactions: MissMac
Well, we are bad hearthers for posting off-topic in the stove forum, but....
in southern WI and we're forecast for actual lows of -28 and -31 for Tuesday and Wednesday - wind chills around -55...I've been setting aside my nicest pieces of White Oak for a few weeks now thinking that I should save them for really cold weather - well this is it!!!
Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on the WI forecasts. I lived there 32 years and still have family and friends there...Hubertus and Cross Plains. I don't plan to move back any time soon, though. :oops: I might come up there to visit, maybe go to Summerfest and get me a Riverwest Stein Beer on tap. ==c
Speaking of White Oak, I just found at the bottom of my Red Oak stash outside the door, about ten White Oak splits. I brought those heavy bass turds in, along with some Black Locust. I'm ready... >>
I feel for you! Wind chills -60f [emoji33] Time to break out your best wood! Stay warm
TN...dang, son, you're way down south, even compared to me. You're staying in the double-digits. Even your BK will be able to keep up. :p ;)

Reactions: darktower007
It could be worse...you could be in MN. _g

Rich - I was actually thinking I wish I had a second stove in the basement. I have a second flue connection down there, just never connected anything to it.

I have a LP furnace for backup and it really hasn't been run this year except to test it at the beginning of the season - I do think that will be called into service in the next few days!
Ya Xmas I learned that lesson a long time ago.So I put the largest stove in the basement and the large stove on the first floor.This arrangement handles the type of temperatures that are coming my way.

It could be worse...you could be in MN. _g

I was thinking the same thing. Those guys have a whole different level to deal with. Someone posted a temp from their home weather station a few days ago - it was -51 as I recall. I can't even imagine that.

Ya Xmas I learned that lesson a long time ago.So I put the largest stove in the basement and the large stove on the first floor.This arrangement handles the type of temperatures that are coming my way.

That's a great strategy. Most of my basement walls are insulated, so I know I'd lose some heat to those un-insulated areas, but most of the heat will rise up and heat my floors - that would be a big help!

I'm sort of coasting right now. It's -2 right now and that will be the high for today, but the sky is clear and I'm getting tons of solar. Reloaded this morning on good coals and just letting the coals sit for now. As we get into the afternoon it's supposed to get cloudy before it drops to -28 ... I'll start pouring the wood to 'er then.

It's been in the minus 30-40*C range here for the last few weeks. I gave up and have let the furnace kick on to supplement the stove. way more comfortable now. currently sitting at a balmy -47*C! yikes!!!!!!!!!

It's been in the minus 30-40*C range here for the last few weeks. I gave up and have let the furnace kick on to supplement the stove. way more comfortable now. currently sitting at a balmy -47*C! yikes!!!!!!!!!

Now that is a stretch of cold! If we got those here, everyone would move out of Wisconsin! :) Still laughing at the, "...balmy -47*C!"

Over the 30 years I've lived here and heated with wood, out of principle i've done my best to not let the furnace run. Sometimes even with the old VC Defiant roaring, it would run once or twice day if we were below around -20F. I'm not being as "principled" in my old age - I'll burn some LP in this kind of weather.

And thanks for reminding me a little about the F - C conversions! Your -47C is my -53F!!!! And I'd also forgotten that -40 is where C and F match!

Stay warm.

Reactions: T-roy_
I have a couple loads of ultra dry black locust in the on deck spot in the garage.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I have a couple loads of ultra dry black locust in the on deck spot in the garage.

That sounds just perfect. I have never burned Locust. I have never had it growing by me. This past summer a friend of mine just down the road took down a couple of medium size Locust and asked me if I wanted the wood - I was over there in a flash! That's now CSSC and will sit for 3 years and then I'll get to burn my first Locust - it's going to be awesome.

Northern Ontario Canada here... It is fresh here...but at least there are no blackflies (I keep waiting for some diabolical soul to Genetically Modify a blackfly with Antifreeze in its blood).

That's now CSSC and will sit for 3 years and then I'll get to burn my first Locust - it's going to be awesome.
There's a little difference between Black and Honeylocust but they are both good. I never burned Honey but my neighbor has a dead one that I'll grab at some point. The Black coals like you can't believe!
I think Locust is supposed to dry a bit faster than Oak, might be good in two years.

That's a great strategy. Most of my basement walls are insulated, so I know I'd lose some heat to those un-insulated areas, but most of the heat will rise up and heat my floors - that would be a big help!

I'm sort of coasting right now. It's -2 right now and that will be the high for today, but the sky is clear and I'm getting tons of solar. Reloaded this morning on good coals and just letting the coals sit for now. As we get into the afternoon it's supposed to get cloudy before it drops to -28 ... I'll start pouring the wood to 'er then.
A basement install also keeps my pipe from freezing.Two other things with the install that if the power goes out in below zero weather my two stoves running together will keep the house toasty.I know this works at -7 degrees with even colder wind chills.Since we don't get your kind of cold I don't know how they would do at -50 degrees.Another nice feature of my largest soapstone stone is that once it's fired up it'll give us 14 hrs.of usable heat which is enough heat time to feed the stove and not have the down draft effect that the basement will cause when the stove is fired from a cold start.So my advice to you would be to get a stove that will stay heated in the basement for as long for you to go to work and back home and long enough for you to get a good night's sleep before it cools off before reloading.This way you'll get no down draft.

Here is my next few days.

upload_2019-1-29_14-37-35.png

Now that is a stretch of cold! If we got those here, everyone would move out of Wisconsin! :) Still laughing at the, "...balmy -47*C!"

Over the 30 years I've lived here and heated with wood, out of principle i've done my best to not let the furnace run. Sometimes even with the old VC Defiant roaring, it would run once or twice day if we were below around -20F. I'm not being as "principled" in my old age - I'll burn some LP in this kind of weather.

And thanks for reminding me a little about the F - C conversions! Your -47C is my -53F!!!! And I'd also forgotten that -40 is where C and F match!

Stay warm.
i hear you on the 'principle' of avoiding the LP. my stove can do it, even in this weather, however we can really feel the drafts in the house, and the floors get really cold because of the cooler unfinished-on-bedrock basement. if it was just me, i'd stick with the stove - however, when the boss starts complaining, it's time to let the LP chip in. :)

if anybody would like to mail me some of that nice locust, i'll send you the address...

B71F77C5-B5CA-430B-B58D-D0EE43A6D458.png
Was outside for about an hour today. Extra bedding for all the animals. The fingers can only be outside the glove for a few minutes. Everyone is laying low.

Last edited:
In December 2017 just after Christmas we had a super cold stretch here in southern Maine. For about two weeks we had lows between -20 and -30 almost every night. When I saw the extended forecast a few weeks prior I put a new battery in my truck. I remember stopping on my way to work one morning to take a picture of the thermometer reading in my truck at -31. There were people everywhere running out of heating oil and deliveries were being booked a month out. I had my tank filled before Christmas because I planned ahead. Lots of people at work were having to stop and by 20 gallons of diesel every day on the way home to keep the furnace from running out.