For those who've had a devil of a time trying to burn wet wood...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A curious fellow died one day and found himself waiting in the long line for judgment.

As he stood there he noticed that some souls were allowed to march right through the pearly gates into Heaven. Others though, were led over to Satan who threw them into the burning fire.

But every so often, instead of hurling a poor soul into the fire, Satan would toss a soul off to one side into a small pile.

After watching Satan do this several times, the fellow's curiosity got the best of him. So he strolled over and asked Satan what he was doing.

'Excuse me, Prince of Darkness,' he said. 'I'm waiting in line for Judgment, but I couldn't help wondering. Why are you tossing those people aside instead of flinging them into the Fires of Hell with the others?''

Oh, those,' Satan groaned. 'They're all from Seattle. They're still too wet to burn.'

It's said that in Seattle they don't tan, they rust.

It's a myth perpetuated by the Seattleites to discourage migration into the area...much like the name Iceland, as opposed to Greenland. If you've been there on a beautiful summer day and seen the zillions of sailboats out on the sound or moored all around it, you'll know what I mean. ;-) (If that's not enough to get this thread into the Ash Can, I dunno what is.) Rick

fossil said:
It's a myth perpetuated by the Seattleites to discourage migration into the area...much like the name Iceland, as opposed to Greenland. If you've been there on a beautiful summer day and seen the zillions of sailboats out on the sound or moored all around it, you'll know what I mean. ;-) (If that's not enough to get this thread into the Ash Can, I dunno what is.) Rick

Rick

Obviously you have never been here, It rains everyday in Seattle and surrounding area especially yesterday, man what a down pour, raining cats and dogs, you all need to stay away

Elderthewelder said:
...Obviously you have never been here, It rains everyday in Seattle and surrounding area especially yesterday, man what a down pour, raining cats and dogs, you all need to stay away

Elder, my friend, I've been there many times...by sea, land and air. You folks aren't fooling me one bit. I've seen some pretty nasty weather there, and I've seen some spectacularly beautiful weather there. I've gone to sleep in a hotel room on a gray, overcast, rainy night, and awoken the next moring to a bright, crystal clear dawn with Mt. Rainier staring me in the face so huge it startled me. In and out of the sound on Navy ships (the fog in the straits can be a real b*tch!), flown into SEATAC I dunno how many times and rode the ferry over to Bremerton, tossing french fries to the seagulls. Fantasized about having one of those houses out on one of the San Juans...on and on. Bottom line is that I'll never live there, because my ex-wife has been a real estate broker there for a long time now, and the traffic around the sound isn't a lot of fun. Beautiful area though, and I love the Pike St Market. :) Rick

Up here in Bellingham, about 90 miles North of Seattle, stories are told about a native american shaman of the Lummi tribe who, legend has it, was able to predict the weather with uncanny precision.

It seems the shaman had a small totem, imbued by the spirits with tremendous power. To predict the weather, the shaman would simply hold the totem outside his teepee for a few moments to let it take its reading.

If the totem came back in wet, the shaman's prediction was "Rain Today."

If it came back in dry, the prediction was "Rain Tomorrow."

Well, I imagine that if I lived in a teepee, I'd want to hold my totem outside to take my readings, too. :cheese: Rick

I heard from a friend in the Emerald City that about 10 days ago, the TV weatherjman put the temps up for the following cities:

Some town in Siberia
Anchorage, Alaska
Seattle

Seatlle had the coldest high temp that day.

myzamboni said:
...Seatlle had the coldest high temp that day.

So, not a good day to be sticking your totem out of the teepee? What Emerald City? Are you talking about the Green Zone in Iraq...or where? Rick

myzamboni said:
I heard from a friend in the Emerald City that about 10 days ago, the TV weatherjman put the temps up for the following cities:

Some town in Siberia
Anchorage, Alaska
Seattle

Seatlle had the coldest high temp that day.

That is true, we just went thru a brief cold snap, heck I was burning my stove in June, Yesterday however was 83 and sunny, today high 70's partly cloudy

Rick
Seattle is aka as the Emerald city

Elderthewelder said:
...Seattle is aka as the Emerald city

Well, dang it...all these times over the years that I've been there and done that, I don't think I ever heard that before. Where'd that come from? Rick

There was a contest in the early 80s to rename the city from the Queen City. Emerald City is the name that won.

Well, I'll be. I was visiting there pretty regularly up until about 1997 or so, and I never knew that. Interesting. Rick

probably more commonly known as the jet city for obvious reasons, just ask any self respecting Queensryche fan

I'm sitting here in my 66 degree house with 56 degree outside temps and greyness. I expect I'll be burning another fire this evening to get the house back up into the 70s for the cold night.

When it's nice here, it is really really nice. Hard to beat with all the green and water. I spent friday (mid 80s) mowing 6 acres of chest high rye grass on a tractor. Loved every minute of it. Burning my stove for 10 months out of the year.... not so good.

Highbeam said:
I'm sitting here in my 66 degree house with 56 degree outside temps and greyness. I expect I'll be burning another fire this evening to get the house back up into the 70s for the cold night.

When it's nice here, it is really really nice. Hard to beat with all the green and water. I spent friday (mid 80s) mowing 6 acres of chest high rye grass on a tractor. Loved every minute of it. Burning my stove for 10 months out of the year.... not so good.

Highbeam, I think it was George Carlin who said something like, "Hey, you can't have everything...where would you keep it all?". Rick

This year is a record setter for sure. By comparison to warm cycle years (el Nino), a decade ago I remember having a friendly contest for a couple years with a local farmer to see whether we could have corn ready to pick for the fourth of July. This year, it won't be even knee high by then. I also remember having our bees swarm in late February and definitely was not ready for that!

We've had a good garden this year despite the rain. Check out our peas!! Those stakes are 5 feet above grade.

Here's a photo of the grass I was mowing on Friday. It was hot that day but the grass had moisture at teh ground level. Still thriving. Major pollen up the nose day too.

Attachments

• speas.JPG
    speas.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 183
  • smow.JPG
    smow.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 154
I am moving to Washington to dry out. It is still raining pretty much every day here. Pouring down and thundering as I type. Botentourt Steve can watch the Dulles Airport gauge at only 26 inches so far this year but all of these storms are skirting south of there and coming right over the top of our house. The PWS down the road has recorded 40 inches so far this year and my washed out yard and drive way concur. It is raining so much that the grass isn't even growing and I have never seen that before. :gulp:

I have only been able to slop through the woods and cut two cords of wood so far.

Nice peas highbeam! Our's are less than half that height. You must be getting more sun than us. We had to plant 3 times due to losing the first 2 plantings. That's never happened to us with peas before.

BB, that is biblical. Sounds like a good time to invest in a row boat, or maybe an ark!

Status
Not open for further replies.