Ford - Stupid, Stupid - 21% production cut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well mpg is important, but cost per mile is more important. I drive a 90 Chevy stretch van, ram injected at about 15 MPG. Carries as much as most 1 ton trucks, but rides like a stretched limo. Cost me $800 from a very well maintained fleet. Point is: Why must we buy new to save? My last new truck cost 18,100 in 1985. Friends thought i was nuts. That truck got retired two years ago at about 400,00 miles, two rebuilds and three transmissions. The same truck now goes for $43,000. Where is the logic in buying a new one? New paint and body are driving the industry. Do you think in one year that Ford, GM, or Dodge can come up with anything that justifies a $40,000 price tag?

UncleRich said:
Well mpg is important, but cost per mile is more important. I drive a 90 Chevy stretch van, ram injected at about 15 MPG. Carries as much as most 1 ton trucks, but rides like a stretched limo. Cost me $800 from a very well maintained fleet. Point is: Why must we buy new to save? My last new truck cost 18,100 in 1985. Friends thought i was nuts. That truck got retired two years ago at about 400,00 miles, two rebuilds and three transmissions. The same truck now goes for $43,000. Where is the logic in buying a new one? New paint and body are driving the industry. Do you think in one year that Ford, GM, or Dodge can come up with anything that justifies a $40,000 price tag?

Correct you are. When manufacturing energy is considered, your course of action might be the best. And, we have some a long way - remember people wanted a new car every two years?

But no matter what you do or I do, the mass market for cars - driven largely by marketing - is going to continue....and, is also going to be the prime place where savings can be had (the big picture).

Shane said:
"Dodge what can happen to Dodge?" ;-)

I should have bought Chrysler stock at $6.00 in 1980 instead of that $5,000 USD new Plymouth Horizon. My uncle said the US Government would never let Chrysler go under. He was right!!! Is the US Government AKA the US Tax Paying Public going to bail-out any of the big three this time around??

DriftWood said:
Shane said:
"Dodge what can happen to Dodge?" ;-)

I should have bought Chrysler stock at $6.00 in 1980 instead of that $5,000 USD new Plymouth Horizon. My uncle said the US Government would never let Chrysler go under. He was right!!! Is the US Government AKA the US Tax Paying Public going to bail-out any of the big three this time around??

Isn't that why the price of oil is dropping like a rock, so the big 3 can have time to readjust their lineups?

Status
Not open for further replies.