Forecast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Osage

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2011
kansas
Forcast calls for some more cold here in Kansas. Below 0 by the end of the weekend with high winds ( what high winds in kansas! ) making for double digit below windchills.
Looked over at the old m-520 and it just yawned at the forcast.
It the Gator, the old Jonsered and the X25 are tag teaming to keep the house warm.
But the standing dead Mulberry gave all.

Attachments

• 0301191148.jpg
    0301191148.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 331
  • 0113191612.jpg
    0113191612.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 301
  • 0301191041.jpg
    0301191041.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 293
next week looks promising to set new cold records previously set in 2002 for the first full week of March. Dang pipes in the trailer froze that year.

I keep looking over at my last row of wood in the basement, the final cord which will last me about 25 days if im lucky and i wonder if the snow in the backyard will melt in time for me to reach it before i run out in the basement. Seeing as we had 20 inches of snow last April 15th im kinda leaning towards NO. Not to mention the 2 ft of snow already in the backyard needing to melt. It's not been a pretty winter in wisconsin this year but i can see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Light at end of Tunnel = freight train coming at you full tilt. Went out this morning- CCCCCCold to grab some Honey Locust no problems there after busting thought Ice holding the stack together- Leg crumpled going down stairs with a load- ( happens on occasion). 17 cement steps and I found 10 of them with my back side. Didn't bounce the noggin off any - good thing as then I would have to repair the steps. Gravity is a mean mistress.

Light at end of Tunnel = freight train coming at you full tilt. Went out this morning- CCCCCCold to grab some Honey Locust no problems there after busting thought Ice holding the stack together- Leg crumpled going down stairs with a load- ( happens on occasion). 17 cement steps and I found 10 of them with my back side. Didn't bounce the noggin off any - good thing as then I would have to repair the steps. Gravity is a mean mistress.
It was cold here this morning also. Left the Mulberry in the shed and broke out the top tier wood aka Hedge.
Took a little while to get my tongue thawed off the pump handle this morning.

I wish I had more access to hedge. There’s a little around, but it’s not nearly as plentiful as mulberry.

Lots of Hedge around here but very few use it for firewood for some reason. Maybe it's the extended dry time. Also assuming we're talking about Osage Orange. Don't think it burns much different than Mulberry honestly.

Lots of Hedge around here but very few use it for firewood for some reason. Maybe it's the extended dry time. Also assuming we're talking about Osage Orange. Don't think it burns much different than Mulberry honestly.

A lot of folks won’t burn it because they are afraid they will melt their stove down. Older stoves that leaked a lot of air would get too hot & start glowing, or folks got their stoves to hot & warped them then leaked like a sieve & couldn’t control their burn. That’s been my assessment of things anyway. It’s kind of like the “don’t burn pine or you’ll burn your house down”.

Reactions: Stinkpickle
Only if you’re careful with it.

Spring comes quick, looks like deep winter tonight with 16 inches of snow in the teens with single digits forecast this week but in 2-3 weeks spring will spring with an occasional cold snap for a day lik r two, a cord should get you through.