Forest King Pro 37 ton splitter clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
For me it’s all about what I can afford and what I think is a reasonable amount of money to spend on my heating/wood equipment. I splurged on my two pro saws, one is a 390XP/26" that I got for $600 with a new jug and piston that has been ported and the other is a 562XP/20" that is also ported. After spending around $1900 on my two saws I really couldn’t see spending another fortune on a fast splitter. One thing that helps me justify my equipment costs is the wood up here can be found easily for free, this is my 7th winter of heating my large home primarily with free wood I’ve scrounged and I’ve harvested enough to sell around $250 of wood a year too, not much but it helps.

Yes, I timed it at 8 seconds, but I still need to check my engine RPM to make sure I’m hitting the spec’s 3600 RPM. I suspect it’s not, and I might pick up another half second (as if I could time that accurate) by adjusting that.

Bottom line, I don’t really care about the numbers, but it’s much more pleasant to run now. I used to get frustrated trying to hold big rounds up on the foot plate, while I waiting for that wedge to come down and “grab” the top of the round. Likewise on full-cycling the machine for stringy stuff in horizontal mode. Both issues have been since resolved to my satisfaction.

2AA710D6-6B34-4D1B-9F76-948A7EA61421.png
I looked at some splitters on CL tonight and now I don’t feel so bad about my slow 13 second splitter. Someone is selling a 15 ton Craftsman splitter with a waiting for it....waiting for it.... waiting for it.... 20 second cycle time lol.

I got the numbers from my Viking pump and from what I can tell it is only 3.3gpm which I find hard to believe. I called a rep yesterday and he referred to the pump as a "hi-low" pump and not two stage. I thought I remember the two stage process was the reason my father purchased the pump. Now you all have me thinking about installing a higher gpm pump. The pump is about 35 years old, and I have been happy with the speed- wait for it- 13 seconds for 29 inches.
That can't be right, can it? 4 inch cylinder/ 2 inch rod @ 3.3 gpm a little above idle? I thought it was at least 11-13 Gpm.
Can anyone help me confirm this?

Viking pump
(G?)P(O?) 55014- C(or G?)
Ser 1872716

Edit: it doesn't seem like it cycles MUCH faster at full throttle and it seems consistent in power at the lower rpm.

Last edited:
I got the numbers from my Viking pump and from what I can tell it is only 3.3gpm which I find hard to believe. I called a rep yesterday and he referred to the pump as a "hi-low" pump and not two stage. I thought I remember the two stage process was the reason my father purchased the pump. Now you all have me thinking about installing a higher gpm pump. The pump is about 35 years old, and I have been happy with the speed- wait for it- 13 seconds for 29 inches.
That can't be right, can it? 4 inch cylinder/ 2 inch rod @ 3.3 gpm a little above idle? I thought it was at least 11-13 Gpm.
Can anyone help me confirm this?

Viking pump
(G?)P(O?) 55014- C(or G?)
Ser 1872716

Edit: it doesn't seem like it cycles MUCH faster at full throttle and it seems consistent in power at the lower rpm.

On the road, so doing this in my head:

4 inch cylinder = .087 sq.ft.
3.3 GPM = 0.44 cu.ft./minute
29 inch travel = 4.83 ft. Round trip = 0.42 cu.ft. / round trip

0.44/0.42 = 1.04 minutes / round trip

An 11 GPM pump on a commercial splitter gives you 12 seconds round trip at 4.0 feet round trip. Yours will be 3x less GPM and 20% longer round trip. So, my rough numbers appear to be good.

Are you sure that pump’s not mis-labeled? Maybe it used to say 13.3 GPM?

A7F3FA8E-B45B-4BD4-8F32-B614B21D848C.png
All this talk about splitter power and cycle time has got me looking around to see what’s out there more and I found this monster on the TSC web page, a 40 ton model with a 9.5 second cycle time for $1700. I’m on my 3rd splitter now with the Forest King 37 ton being the best one so far. Maybe after some time I’ll keep an eye on this splitter and watch for sales or maybe call a few stores and see if they ever clear one of these out, maybe a returned unit or what not. We will see. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaIron

An 11 GPM pump on a commercial splitter gives you 12 seconds round trip at 4.0 feet round trip. Yours will be 3x less GPM and 20% longer round trip. So, my rough numbers appear to be good.

The pump is about 35 years old and I couldn't find information on it. I think the tech meant 3.3 displacement and not 3.3 Gpm. After looking around some of the (teen) pumps are near that displacement.

The only numbers are from the tag

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-02-05-12-44-39.png
    Screenshot_2018-02-05-12-44-39.png
    317.9 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
All this talk about splitter power and cycle time has got me looking around to see what’s out there more and I found this monster on the TSC web page, a 40 ton model with a 9.5 second cycle time for $1700. I’m on my 3rd splitter now with the Forest King 37 ton being the best one so far. Maybe after some time I’ll keep an eye on this splitter and watch for sales or maybe call a few stores and see if they ever clear one of these out, maybe a returned unit or what not. We will see. :rolleyes:
I found the 40/ 30 ton fast unit on youtube. I'm still looking for the fast 25.

Reactions: WiscWoody

Thanks for the help. I thought it was in the teens, but I was real young then. So if I guess at 13gpm would a 16gpm make that much difference? I would need to change my main lines( not prohibitive) if I go to a 22.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say it’s a County Line brand. The 30 ton is a second slower than the bigger 40 ton unit but 30 ton would likely split even the toughest Elm I would put in it. I put a photo of it on my post too.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot to say it’s a County Line brand. The 30 ton is a second slower than the bigger 40 ton unit but 30 ton would likely split even the toughest Elm I would put in it. I put a photo of it on my post too.
I do not know why there a no videos of the 2017/18 25 ton models yet.

I spent some time shopping for a fast 22 - 25 ton unit, but the only thing I ever found in consumer grade was the Iron and Oak 19 or 20 ton (3.5 inch). I used one of those on several occasions, and found they're just a little bit shy of the power needed to push thru larger rounds and anything knotty. My 22 ton (4 inch) seems to be the sweet spot, about as light and fast as you can go, with just enough power to make it thru anything you put to it.

Unfortunately, all of the 4 inch cylinders offered on commercial splitters have 1/2" ports, which is the bottleneck in the system. You're not going to push much more than 16 GPM thru 1/2 inch ports without pressure drop that negates the advantage of the larger pump. My goal was a 22 GPM pump, and I sized my engine to that, but ended up having to settle on 16 GPM due to cylinder availability.

You can have a cylinder custom made with SAE-10 or 3/4" NPT fittings, but then you're into bigger money, and the sump line on my tank would have needed a large bung welded in... so 16 GPM seems to be the sweet spot.

Thanks for the help. I thought it was in the teens, but I was real young then. So if I guess at 13gpm would a 16gpm make that much difference? I would need to change my main lines( not prohibitive) if I go to a 22.
Cycle time is inversely proportional to GPM, assuming all of the lines and engine are sufficient for the flow rate. So, 16 GPM would be 23% faster than 13 GPM, if your lines, ports, and engine are sized appropriately to handle 16 GPM.

If you peruse my log splitter hotrod thread, I think I listed the line sizes required for 16 GPM and 22 GPM.

6BD35BAB-EB04-4CC9-9CAA-B89DBFDBC1A2.png
If you are building a splitter there are some 4.5 and 5" 24 and 30" stroke cylinders on eBay that I see have 17mm (11/16") ports. This place has a chart I’ll post. They show the 30" stroke. Ylinders here but they also have 24" ones with the same ports. I think the 24" cylinders were listed for $169 shipped to the 48.

View attachment 222553 If you are building a splitter there are some 4.5 and 5" 24 and 30" stroke cylinders on eBay that I see have 17mm (11/16") ports. This place has a chart I’ll post. They show the 30" stroke. Ylinders here but they also have 24" ones with the same ports. I think the 24" cylinders were listed for $169 shipped to the 48.

Yes, but the larger cylinder bore negates the increased port size advantage. The 17mm port would allow a 22 GPM pump, which is 37% bigger than 16 GPM. But a 5” cylinder would require 56% more GPM to move the same speed as a 4” cylinder, so it will be slower than a cheaper rig with the 4” cylinder and 16 GPM pump.

The 4.5” cylinder with 17mm ports might hit the sweet spot (would be ever so slightly faster) with a 22 GPM pump on a 400 cc motor, but cost would be a lot higher than just using the 4” cylinder most already own, and it would require welding larger ports into most commercial splitter hydro tanks. Also, 400cc motors aren’t cheap.

It’s going to be hard to beat the bang / buck ratio of just going 16 GPM with a 300cc motor, on a 25 ton splitter you already own.

Edit: you could go larger than 22 GPM on that 5” cylinder, but then you’re getting into real high dollar stuff, all around. It’s a system, all components need to be sized to the next.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaIron
Thanks Ashful. Since the pump isn't a 3gpm ill probably run it until it fails. Every once in a while I hear you guys talk about speed and wonder if I'm missing out on something. Right now I am satisfied and i truly do not want to make a job out of splitting since most times I split when I want to so I get extra enjoyment out of this process.

Reactions: Ashful
Yes, but the larger cylinder bore negates the increased port size advantage. The 17mm port would allow a 22 GPM pump, which is 37% bigger than 16 GPM. But a 5” cylinder would require 56% more GPM to move the same speed as a 4” cylinder, so it will be slower than a cheaper rig with the 4” cylinder and 16 GPM pump.

The 4.5” cylinder with 17mm ports might hit the sweet spot (would be ever so slightly faster) with a 22 GPM pump on a 400 cc motor, but cost would be a lot higher than just using the 4” cylinder most already own, and it would require welding larger ports into most commercial splitter hydro tanks. Also, 400cc motors aren’t cheap.

It’s going to be hard to beat the bang / buck ratio of just going 16 GPM with a 300cc motor, on a 25 ton splitter you already own.

Edit: you could go larger than 22 GPM on that 5” cylinder, but then you’re getting into real high dollar stuff, all around. It’s a system, all components need to be sized to the next.
Ok, and let me guess.... your a engineer of some type but I guess it’s all simple math...like figuring out KWh’s and how much a appliance will cost to run but a tad more complicated. And like I said before I’m on a budget for my splitters so what I’ve been doing is moving up every few years. I started out with my generic maul type splitter, then I went electric for a few years, then to a slow 22 ton and now I’m on a new slow 37 ton machine. Maybe I’ll get a fast splitter in the future... :cool:

Last edited:
I’m on a budget for my splitters so what I’ve been doing is moving up every few years. I started out with my generic maul type splitter, then I went electric for a few years, then to a slow 22 ton and now I’m on a new slow 37 ton machine. Maybe I’ll get a fast s-litter in the future... :cool:
Same here, we all impose some sort of budget on things like this, whether out of necessity or general frugality.

I used two cheap hardware store mauls, both of which I inherited with broken handles and re-handled myself, until my shoulders couldn't take it anymore. Then I started augmenting my hand splitting with a once-yearly rented splitter, the fast-cycle 19 ton Iron and Oak I mentioned above (3.5" cylinder on a 16 GPM... that thing moved!). I eventually broke down, both literally and figuratively, and bought my own splitter after about three years of that routine. It was a slow (but inexpensive and reliable) Huskee 22 ton, based on the recommendations of several older forum members.

This summer, I decided it was finally time to upgrade it. I spent more on the new vertical shaft engine than I'd have liked, but now I have the fastest 22-ton Huskee on the block, and for a heck of a lot less than what you probably spent on that 37 ton splitter!

I'm sure there are folks who need the extra capacity of a 37 ton machine, but not me. If there's a log out there that my 22-ton splitter can't get thru, it must be such a gnarly twisted mess of a round that I'd not want it in my wood stacks, anyway. I'd rather put those HP and GPM upgrades towards speed than extra unnecessary tonnage, any day!

What's the pump size on your new 37 ton rig? If 16 GPM, I'd be looking to swap the 4" cylinder off the old 22 ton splitter onto the new 37 ton machine, that would be nice! If it's 22 GPM, you could order a custom 4" cylinder with larger ports, and have us all beat!

Same here, we all impose some sort of budget on things like this, whether out of necessity or general frugality.

I used two cheap hardware store mauls, both of which I inherited with broken handles and re-handled myself, until my shoulders couldn't take it anymore. Then I started augmenting my hand splitting with a once-yearly rented splitter, the fast-cycle 19 ton Iron and Oak I mentioned above (3.5" cylinder on a 16 GPM... that thing moved!). I eventually broke down, both literally and figuratively, and bought my own splitter after about three years of that routine. It was a slow (but inexpensive and reliable) Huskee 22 ton, based on the recommendations of several older forum members.

This summer, I decided it was finally time to upgrade it. I spent more on the new vertical shaft engine than I'd have liked, but now I have the fastest 22-ton Huskee on the block, and for a heck of a lot less than what you probably spent on that 37 ton splitter!

I'm sure there are folks who need the extra capacity of a 37 ton machine, but not me. If there's a log out there that my 22-ton splitter can't get thru, it must be such a gnarly twisted mess of a round that I'd not want it in my wood stacks, anyway. I'd rather put those HP and GPM upgrades towards speed than extra unnecessary tonnage, any day!

What's the pump size on your new 37 ton rig? If 16 GPM, I'd be looking to swap the 4" cylinder off the old 22 ton splitter onto the new 37 ton machine, that would be nice! If it's 22 GPM, you could order a custom 4" cylinder with larger ports, and have us all beat!
I finally got around to looking up my new splitters pump specs and that would be nice if it was a 22 gpm but not... it’s rated at 17 gpm and the bypass is set at 3850 psi. Like you say maybe someday in the next few years I’ll pick up a 4" cylinder for it and give it a try and see what it does. :cool:

I finally got around to looking up my new splitters pump specs and that would be nice if it was a 22 gpm but not... it’s rated at 17 gpm and the bypass is set at 3850 psi. Like you say maybe someday in the next few years I’ll pick up a 4" cylinder for it and give it a try and see what it does. :cool:

Mine is rated 16 GPM at 3000 RPM, so I’m getting roughly 19 GPM out of it at my engine’s 3600 RPM maximum. It’s doing the job just fine for me. I’d be hunting for a 4” cylinder to put on that bad boy, but I’ve been known to be impatient.

Mine is rated 16 GPM at 3000 RPM, so I’m getting roughly 19 GPM out of it at my engine’s 3600 RPM maximum. It’s doing the job just fine for me. I’d be hunting for a 4” cylinder to put on that bad boy, but I’ve been known to be impatient.
Lol, yeah there’s lots of competition here for the almighty dollar.... but I can see it happening sometime sooner or later. Stay tuned as they say.....