Forestry helmet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
A few weeks ago my son generously surprised me with forestry helmet. After getting hit in the head with something while splitting wood a few months ago I was talking about getting one. I certainly feel safer with it - previously I'd always wear safety glasses and since I got hit in the head was borrowing the hard hat from the
work van.

The only thing is - it tends to fall off of course when leaning over, such as starting the saw. Wearing the earmuffs does help, but I wonder if it would be crazy to consider fabricating some kind of under the chin strap? I could try making the band tighter I suppose. It has a knob to do so.

The Japanise hard hats all have chin straps
and always figured it was a good idea.
When I worked heavy construction and
having to work over a parapet. I bought a
hard hat with a chin strap. I love the dam thing
and use it all the time when I need head protection
It can't get knocked off or fall off

A few weeks ago my son generously surprised me with forestry helmet. After getting hit in the head with something while splitting wood a few months ago I was talking about getting one. I certainly feel safer with it - previously I'd always wear safety glasses and since I got hit in the head was borrowing the hard hat from the
work van.

The only thing is - it tends to fall off of course when leaning over, such as starting the saw. Wearing the earmuffs does help, but I wonder if it would be crazy to consider fabricating some kind of under the chin strap? I could try making the band tighter I suppose. It has a knob to do so.
Let me know when you figure it out, I have the Stihl helmet with knob in the back.

So some do come with chin straps. Sounds like that's the way to go. Mine isn't top of the line like Stihl - but it seems pretty good.
The knob in back is definitely better than adjusting the band and pushing it into the holes.

I'll let you know if I'm able to rig up some kind of chin strap.

Which one is it? I have the Husqvarna helmet that comes in the kit with chaps. Fits fine.

Reactions: TreePointer
Some off brand name, need to find the paperwork. Here's a photo. Other question I had - it came with a clear plastic shield and the mesh
one shown. I have the clear plastic one on now. Is there an advantage to either one?

Assuming you're in Mass. you probably had a record high temperature today like here in Conn. Made it to 79 - as expected a record high
and supposedly the warmest November day on record. Most say it's nice - it's ok I guess but weird. Haven't had a fire in the stove in days.

helmet.jpg

On the porch outside now at 9:30. Having a beer.
Cigar later.

Played Trivial Pursuit outside on the porch today.

Nice weather to work on the leaves and yard next week. I am in Marlborough. Metrowest Boston.

Grew up in CT. Huntington, which is part of Shelton. Bopped around CT for school. Fairfield Prep and University. Yale for grad school. UConn for a year post doc.

Then NJ for 17 years. Here since 2003.

Mine doesn't have a clear shield, only mesh. Husqvarna kit has safety glasses to wear, but I wear glasses.

I am blind as a bat.

Pretty funny ... I played in the non-competitive, coed slow pitch softball league in grad school. A beer league. There was also a very competitive fast pitch league.

I tell people, "you want to know what kind of team we had? I am slow, blind as a bat, and have no arm. I played centerfield."

On the porch outside now at 9:30. Having a beer.
Cigar later. .......

Yea it's crazy - I should have been out on the deck tonight. Nice having a beer outside at night in November. I pass by Marlborough somewhat routinely when I go to Mass. every couple weeks or so for work. Our states restricted each other due to Covid19. I read
the specifics, you're exempt from quarantining and taking a Covid test if you're there less than 24 hours or an essential worker.

I suppose the good thing about this weather is saving some wood. We've been part time with varying hours since April. So, that means on cold weekdays being home more firewood is used. Yep - that time of year for leaves. The town already collected them at the curb on my street. They always so it way too early, I have a tree that's still 70% green. Years ago it was legal to make a pile and burn leaves.

So far I've gotten by with dollar store reading glasses - but as the years go on I have to but stronger ones. Hey at least you played baseball even though your eyes aren't 20/20.

I grew up with dad and my grandfather burning the leaves in the 1960s.

Dad was sitting in a chair one night. Saw an orange flicker reflected in the slider. Finally got up to look outside. The woods were on fire. Dad and my grandfather ran outside with shovels to put it out.

Oh wow - the fire was from a stray flame from the burning leaves? Same here in the 60s. Although it was common to burn leaves back then.
it was generally dangerous. I don't have as many this year because I had a tree in very bad shape taken down in December. I asked the tree co. to leave the larger pieces and please cut the rounds to about 20", which they did. I split it in January. I burned some already - I know it's not seasoned fully but many pieces are somewhat gray and burned well enough.

I have used dry leaves occasionally to start a fire in the stove. That can't be bad - probably better than newspaper considering the ink.

Well, I just spent a bunch of time on there. Neat site!

This looks like something out of the movie Rollerball. :)

Well, I just spent a bunch of time on there. Neat site!

This looks like something out of the movie Rollerball. :)

I really like that helmet, but a bit out of my budget. When I replaced my Husky power kit helmet (after I flattened it with my tractor) I "sprung" for the Stihl with better suspension and though it was amazing. Maybe I was better off not knowing how much better it could be ;lol

Looks like several bands are equipped with chin straps. I don't think mine has has anything to fasten an optional chin strap to, so I'd
have to make something which is fine.

Good to know chin straps can be purchased separately.