Forgive me, for I have sinned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I got my MS390 out a couple of days ago to get it ready to tackle a big Water Oak I've had my eye on for a while. It seems I had broken one of my cardinal rules: "Always clean up the saw before it's put away, particularly if it's going to be unused for quite a while."

What would have meant a quick brush off and wipe down at the time (late last summer) was now a gooey mess as sawdust had soaked up the oil film on the saw. It took a lot of scraping, wiping, etc but I finally got it all nice and clean again. I'm going to touch up the chain, add fresh gas and, hopefully, it should fire right up.

I renew my pledge to never again put away a dirty saw. Forgive me, my brothers.

Another issue..... Whenever the saw sits for a long time I find that quite a bit of chain oil has leaked out into the saw case. Pure, clean oil. I only notice this when it has been sitting for quite a while.
I suppose it's not a big thing as long as I keep the reservoir full when running the saw.

Some kind of seal or gasket problem?

I fought with this with my husky saw. While under warranty, the thing was puking oil all over my garage. Would take it back to the dealer, and he'd show the the spot on the floor in his shop it was sitting for a week w/out a single drop under it. Bring it back home, mess all over, back to the dealer no problem, etc.

Then, I realized I was leaving the saw on a shelf in my uninsulated garage where the temp swings a ton, but when it was at the dealer, it was sitting on a concrete floor that presumably didn't have as big a temp swings. I think pressure was building in that tank and pushing the oil out, guess it's breather couldn't keep up.

Moral of the story, moved the saw to the floor of my garage and have almost no leakage now.

Could be your problem, or it might not.

pen

Reactions: MasterMech
I had a leaking flippy cap on my oil reservoir on the 361...used to leak all over the place but not anymore.

I have a tip for my air compressor blow gun that is about 1/8" wide...it does a very good job of getting the tough stuff off the saw...even after being caked on for a while.

I have a bench broom that I use to brush/wipe down the saw. Works awesome. Gets in the the nooks and crannies and wipes down as good as a rag too.

Looks kinda like this one:

Attachments

• broom.jpg
    broom.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 101
I figured it was the cold weather, also, causing a seal or gasket to contract and let the oil out. The only time I ever see it is in the winter. The saw is stored out in a storage shed. It's definitely not leaking through the flippy cap. The saw is stored upright and the oil is puddle beneath the saw.

I have a BF compressor coming soon and will use it to help in my clean up.

I have the words "Store this side up" on my saw box. When I had the 359 it would leak terribly, unless stored bar nuts up. Solved the problem. Of course, selling the 359 and getting the 576XP also solved it. No leaks with that one, and it comes with a big bad growl.

Status
Not open for further replies.