found a great product to clean the glass on your woodburner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
Hey guy's the other night, I decided to burn a small fire in my stove for the night, waking up the next day my glass was a little black, I recently purchased some rutland glass cleaner and try the stuff it took a long time to get it clean, so i decided to try some stuff called greased ligthing, you can buy it at the dollar stove, it was the best stuff i have ever use. one appication done the trick, now i would not use this stuff on my gold or nickel finish,just use it on the inside glass. I 'am not trying to sell anything guys just thought i would let everbody know what is working best for me

I use a damp paper towel dipped in ash and it comes off instantly.

laynes69 said:

ditto. wet towel usually is enough, but a dab of ashes gets the tough stuff off, if any.

SLIGHTLY DAMP PAPER TOWEL DIPPED N ASH WORKS THE BEST FOR ME ALSO! AND THEN I DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ANY CHEMICALS THAT MIGHT INTERACT OR DAMAGE THE GLASS! ALL THREE OF MY CLEANING MATERIALS ARE NORMAL TO BE IN THE STOVE. AND IT WORKS GREAT.

madrone said:
laynes69 said:

ditto. wet towel usually is enough, but a dab of ashes gets the tough stuff off, if any.

Ditto and for tough spots I use a bit of vinegar and water with the ashes.

I use Magic Heat.

the rutland product is nice. It leaves this nice coating on the glass that makes it easier to clean the next time. Wet ash and the paper towel is a classic. Ammonia based products can damage the glass, at least thats what my old stove manual told me.

Damp newspaper and wood ash for me usually . . . occasionally I use the Rutland spray . . . but I'm pretty cheap so typically it's just some newspaper and wood ash.

perplexed said:
madrone said:
laynes69 said:

Ditto and for tough spots I use a bit of vinegar and water with the ashes.
Agreed. Cheap, safe, easy, and works excellent.

oven cleaner weakens the glass

windex w/ammonia can break down the binding agent in the gaskets

damp paper and ashes works well

comment on MH...............priceless

I use a bucket full of butterflies that I have laced the edges of their wings with polishing compound. Its kind of tranquil, like watching an aquarium.

Another vote for damp newspaper and then just barely touch the ashes. All black comes right off. If any streaks, then just a bit of windex finishes the job nicely.

Jags said:
I use a bucket full of butterflies that I have laced the edges of their wings with polishing compound. Its kind of tranquil, like watching an aquarium.

**not responsible in case of accidental overfire if used in a burning stove**

karri0n said:
Jags said:

**not responsible in case of accidental overfire if used in a burning stove**

In that case - they move much faster but for a much shorter period of time.

Jags said:

You will be receiving a registered letter from PETB's, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Bugs. lawyer shortly.

BrotherBart said:
Jags said:

You will be receiving a registered letter from PETB's, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Bugs. lawyer shortly.

You must be referring to the guy "Bugsy Squisher". I know that dude, and we're tight.

The only time I clean the glass is when company is coming over so the glass looks its best! Or when the wife decides to just throw some wood in and crank the intake down without waiting a bit...

I do use the Rutland stuff...

***NO BUTTERFLIES WERE INJURED DURING THE CREATION OF THIS THREAD***

Bought some glass cleaner spray last year; it made a mess all over the hearth pad. Damp cloth and ash are all I use now.

I use the Rutland and in a tough spot I use steel wool. I use steel wool on windows to get paint off and on the car windshield to spots, even water spots, off. I use the 0000 finest steel wool - it can't scratch. Never heard of using wood ash. I'm gonna try that - thanks.

andybaker

Burn that sucker hot and then just wipe the light haze off the glass with Windex. Or plain old water.

Status
Not open for further replies.