Found a pile of pine...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
I found a pile of pine wood, maybe 3 cords of the stuff in rounds of 1 to 2.5 feet diameter. I have plenty of hardwood now stashed up, but I am not sure about picking this stuff up. Some of it looks really nice.

I have a forced air whole house furnace, so if I got it, it would all end up in there.

Is it worth getting?

-DeanB

I burn pine. I find it burns fast and hot compared to plum or apple. Good for the cold early morning startups hear in NJ, which we've had a lot of so far this year, as opposed to having to burn in 24x7 mode. I had a hemlock that died a few years ago - eaten by aphids. I always had heard that pine wasn't worth burning, but being a thrifty blonde, I burnt it anyway after seasoning for 2 years. It was nice to see confirmation on this fantastic board that generally pine is fine as long as its dry. I'm burning a Englander Insert (ncl-13).

I've read that pine has a lot of sap that will coat the inside of your flue and then I've heard where burning pine is perfectly safe, long term... I dunno, I burn whatever I am finding right now.

Jay

Burn it
Pine does have sap, so does Oak, Maple ETC
the only difference is Pine sap is sticky so the misconception about it creating creosote came to fruition.
If the pine is dry and aged it is fine for burning, not as many BTUs as the "good woods" but BTUs just the same.

Get some of that sap from a pine tree and let it dry.
Set fire to it, see how nice it flames up?

This fall I burned a fair amount of pine. It goes up like it's soaked in kerosene, and tends to make the glass on my stove black, no matter how hot I burn it. I use it only to get the stove temp up fast or if I don't need a lot of long term heat, but it seems to burn o.k.

No match for the hickory, oak or locust I've been burning lately.

Warren said:

Nuclear Fusion doesnt produce the heat of those three woods.

Yeah its slow at work and I am SLACKING
Especially since they told me I have to take the day after Christmas off :mad:

Trying to get my vacation time built up and they pull this.
All freakin year they had and they drop the bomb yesterday?

I use pine, specifically the fat lighter, to start the fire and bring it up to heat. After that I throw in a few splits of hickory and oak on top of it. I have been working on clearing a path for my fence and I am digging up fat lighter all over the place. My woods were timbered 8 years ago and pine stumps are everywhere. I have a 5 X 8 trailer with 2 foot sides I haul the wood out with and I have already filled it up once with fat lighter. I have cut it up into 3" square chunks and I have about 10 5 gallon buckets of it already. It is so strong it smells like turpentine and pine sol as soon as you run the box blade over it. I would burn your pine if it is seasoned.

babalu87 said:
Warren said:

Yeah, that's the truth. Last night when I went to bed at around midnight, the fireball in the stove was impressive, and the heat coming out of the stove quite intense. Come down into the LR this morning, go to clean out ashes from about 3 days of burning and there were still huge chunks of hard coals left and the blower still running.

The 30-NCL has been cruising at five hundred and change for a couple of hours now with three medium splits of Virginia Pine. Just a blanket of blue rolling from back to front at the baffle and no smoke. And it burned the haze off the glass from the oak this morning.

Looks like a natural gas fire.

babalu87 said:
Warren said:

Dying laughing here......maybe its the thought of fusion, maybe its the 3 beers at lunch, maybe its the fact that Im also slacking from work.

I'm moving back to the main work site at the 1st of the year. The days of unlimted hearth room is all most over.

Status
Not open for further replies.