FP16 Zero Clearance temp gauge placement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NWMontana

Jan 10, 2023
NW Montana
Hello ya'll
Been reading and the info on here and its helped a lot, Just needed some input on how to read the temp on my zero clearance insert. I have a FP 16 Arch LE zero clearance insert with a fully enclosed chase. So I'm not able to put a temp gauge on the pipe. I had to clean the chemmy yesterday because the cap was plugged. I take it i haven't been building hot enough fires. Is there a place to put a temp gauge that would give you a reading that you would trust on the face of the stove?

The best place on this fireplace is probably on an upper corner of the door. A bit more complicated way might be to remove the front faceplate for direct access to the stovetop, then placing a washer-style thermocouple for a digital thermometer on the actual stovetop, held down with a strong magnet. The faceplate would then be put back on and the probe's cable routed to the digital thermometer.

The best place on this fireplace is probably on an upper corner of the door. A bit more complicated way might be to remove the front faceplate for direct access to the stovetop, then placing a washer-style thermocouple for a digital thermometer on the actual stovetop, held down with a strong magnet. The faceplate would then be put back on and the probe's cable routed to the digital thermometer.
Thanks for the input. I'll put one on the door and look around for a digital one like you said... thanks again.