FPX 44 expansion and contraction noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surveyor

Feb 15, 2015
Auburn, MI
First post here. Still learning the ins and outs of our FPX44 in our new home. This is my first time owning a wood burning product. During warmup and cool down we get loud bangs from the stove. Is this normal? Will it work in over time and go away? Or is it something entirely different?
We use the FPX mostly for ambiance. It will be used as backup if our geothermal can't keep up or we have an extended power outage.

Hi Surveyor

Yes, the banging and sometimes creaking sounds are part of what the stove does when all that metal expands and contracts whilst heating up or cooling down. My stove sounds like someone is tapping it with something metallic. I've heard some folk here say they think of the tapping as 'the welcome sound of heat'. It's alarming at first if you don't know what to expect - it was to me too...You'll get used to it.

As you get to know the stove you might start to notice other slightly different sounds.. Like a more 'urgent' more rapid tapping if the stove is going past its higher temp limit. It can be useful! My stove pipe connector also makes sounds sometimes, where it exists the rear of the stove and enters the stone wall just behind.

I've never heard of your type of stove before... Any chance of a pic? Folk here love pics !

My 44 Elite makes some creaking and popping as it heats up and sometimes on cool down. I would not describe it as loud. I am not sure exactly what is causing it other than it is some type of thermal expansion. Might get better with time but I would not expect it to go away. Heat it up at a slower rate if you are uncomfortable with it.

I would not call it popping. It's a bang. Enough to wreck a pair of tighty whiteys.
I tried attaching pictures. Hope they come through.
Thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1424051703946.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424051703946.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 135
  • uploadfromtaptalk1424051726432.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424051726432.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 129
As Isaiah says (and he's a prophet, so it must be right! :) try heating up at a slower rate and see if that makes any difference ... I know that my stove makes more noise if I keep the air wide open for longer, becuase I want it to heat fast. Do get back to us and let us kno how it goes.

Beautiful Hearth but the way... I can see how you want your experience to keep on being the best!

When i first got my quadrafire it sounded like someone had hit with a hammer it banged so loud. I agree with Isaiah and Fiona heating it up at a slower rate works for me. My stove makes all kinds of sounds but i can tell what its doing from another room by what kind of ticking its making. Its funny I spend so much time reading these forums she thinks Ive gone crazy with this whole fire business. The other day i was teaching her how to tend to the stove and i say if you listen the stove will talk to you and tell you how its doing. She said so, your stove talks to you:rolleyes:?? She looked at me like i was nuts!! But after i explained the different sounds and what they mean, the stove now talks to her to, LOL. Maybe we are all crazy but one thing is for sure, it is addicting:cool: and i can't imagine heating my house without wood. That is a beautiful stove you have!

Reactions: hamsey
When i first got my quadrafire it sounded like someone had hit with a hammer it banged so loud. I agree with Isaiah and Fiona heating it up at a slower rate works for me. My stove makes all kinds of sounds but i can tell what its doing from another room by what kind of ticking its making. Its funny I spend so much time reading these forums she thinks Ive gone crazy with this whole fire business. The other day i was teaching her how to tend to the stove and i say if you listen the stove will talk to you and tell you how its doing. She said so, your stove talks to you:rolleyes:?? She looked at me like i was nuts!! But after i explained the different sounds and what they mean, the stove now talks to her to, LOL. Maybe we are all crazy but one thing is for sure, it is addicting:cool: and i can't imagine heating my house without wood. That is a beautiful stove you have!

+1 When I ask my wife do you hear that, she has no clue what I am talking about. I try and explain it to her but she is not interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.