Fpx 44 Fixing Original install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d.braun.28

Dec 31, 2008
Millbrook,il
Now thanks to you guy I have learned that my dealer did not install my 44 elite correctly.
The good news is that I an able to access the chase from the 2nd store and get down to the stove.

It was not installed using a p trap design in the outter air ducts. I can fix that and also install the cold air kit. This should eliminate the cold air comming in when not in use.

My main question concerns the blower it's currently set to draw outside air. I have read of a few other's changing this so It pulls air from the basement.

My question is leave the blower sucking the cold outside air or switch it so it pulls from the basment.

I am thinking it that pulling cold outside air and then heating it then putting it out thru the room is hurting heat output.
Would I then loose the possi pressure thing?

i would think you would have better benefit to pulling air from the basement, then from sucking in cold outside air all the time..

Our FPX 44 Elite pulls air from the basement. I really wanted to pull air from the outside so we would get the "posi-pressure" effect but our installer advised against it. The install manual suggests using inside air for installations in cold climates.

It would seem that having all that icy air surrounding the firebox would lower the efficiency of the unit quite a bit. I'd guess the efficiency ratings they post are for warm climes. Neat design, though. How is the heat output?

Unless your house is really tight, the air you pull from the basement is going to get replaced by outside air one way or the other, from right around ground level anyway, I expect. The big question is, is it coming in below your feet, or on your feet?

But "preheating" your outside air by having the basement condition it before entering the blower seems right. Having positive pressure by inviting in cold air to be heated doesn't make sense to me. I would think outside air only for combustion is the best way to shoot for that effect. Feed the cold air to the fire, not the blower.

I pull outside air. Live in the hudson valley (lower) in NYS. When 10F or colder I notice a drop off. So I build a bigger fire. That being said, there is something about pull FRESH air into your house all winter. I don't know if coincidence but my family remained very healthy all winter long. I truly think all that fresh air helps.
House is 3000 SQ FT. I heat the basement. Run oil when Fireplace can't keep up. Lose a lot of heat in my bonus room. That being said. Normally have 3 oil deliveries. Last winter - one.

Status
Not open for further replies.