Q&A FPX gas fireplace lights with small explosion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hello: Hope you can help me out with my particular problem. I recently installed a travis 34dv fireplace ( my second installation, the other a 36dv) in my home. It is thermostatically controlled but the problem comes when it turns on. It lights with what I can only describe as a small explosion, rattling the glass. My dealer is hard to get a hold of and quite frankly he just sells appliances on the side. Is this something that can be adjusted? I contacted Travis and they thought an air shutter adjustment might help and to contact my dealer. The air shutter adjustment made no difference by the way. I have noticed that when the fireplace is hot you can manually turn it on and off with the thermostat without the problem but once the fireplace cools off the next time it turns on it bangs again.

Answer:

Adan, The problem you describe sounds like a poor lighting sequence on your burner, where the valve allows gas to flow to the burner, but does not ignite the gas in the time frame designed. Gas continues to flow into and around the burner area before ignition takes place. Then, you have a scenario where there's more gas in the ignition zone than designed, and when it lights--------varoom! It's usually more of an issue with LP versus NG, as LP is heavier than air. Safety-wise, DV units have to pass a specific AGA/CGA test where this scenario is much worst, and the glass cannot break. Usually, pressure relief valves are incorporated into the firebox to take the pressure off the glass. So, I think you're okay there. What causes this delayed ignition? It could be as simple as logs placed incorrectly on the burner, which prevents a natural carryover process. Or, your gas pressure is lower than required which slows the ignition sequence. Adjusting the air shutter typically only changes your flame color-----usually does not affect the ignition sequence. Sometimes, there's a leak in the burner that dumps gas away from the burner, thus affecting the ignition sequence and when the gas is ignited, so is the gas surrounding the burner. I'm not familiar with your fireplace's design, and I don't know if you an electronic ignition or standing pilot design, but I would do the following:

Check your owner's guide, the troubleshooting section, see if it mentions log placement.

Then check the logs to ensure that they are in the correct location. If they are blocking the burner holes, they'll slow the flow down. Are the logs sooty? If so, it could be improper log location. Have a gas technician check the gas pressure to ensure it's correct. Then, if these seem fine, call Tech Service again, and ask for the Manager. This is serious enough that there should be quicker action. Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.