FPX large hybrid fyre insert installed, not sure it is going well- please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clydesdale

Mar 8, 2016
New York
I got my insert installed. They used an insulated liner per my request. I have a block off plate. But, I think I have some issues that I want to fully understand. The installer was very professional and got this thing installed without scratching a thing. He was careful. However, he use a 45 degree elbow from the insert to the liner. I did not see how he attached the liner, but he did not use fireplace cement as per the manual. I also see a small slice or cut in the elbow. I can see flame in this slice with the lights off in the room and the door seal cracked on the insert. When I crack the seal on the door, I get a much stronger fire. When I then lock the door, the fire seems to choke. I have the air control fully opened. I am not impressed with the performance at all. I am wondering if this elbow connection could be an issue.
I do not believe Roxul was used. A very chunky kind of insulation that came in the form of what looked like a big ceiling tile was used. I can see some of this loose insulation blowing along side of the pipe as it exits the block off plate. It is dancing ever so slightly.
Any feedback or ideas. The installer says he will come back and seal the pipe and seems like a stand up guy, but I just am looking for additional advice on what to check to make sure this comes out the best it can. I am also going to start another thread on the proper operation of the catalytic combuster. Thanks.

The notch you see is necessary on a Lopi. Then notch allows the bypass rod and fork to operate back and forth. The cement likely just settled into the notch, no big deal. The 45 is not hurting yournburn either. 90%of the inserts we install end up with an elbow on the stove top. Rather, the wood quality is likely the reason the fire dies out once you shut the door. Properly seasoned firewood needs to be split and stacked for at least 12 months, 24 months for certain species like oak and hickory.

well I never seal any joints on a wood stove install nothing really holds up well at all. But there should absolutely not be a gap like you describe. Ok I stand corrected by webby

well Inever seal any joints on a wood stove install nothing really holds up well at all. But there should absolutely not be a gap like you describe
The hybrid says it voids the warranty if furnace cement isn't used on the stovetop connection.

The hybrid says it voids the warranty if furnace cement isn't used on the stovetop connection.
really? I have never installed one but that seems crazy to me. you and I both know that cement is going to crack up and be pointless in a year or so.

really? I have never installed one but that seems crazy to me. you and I both know that cement is going to crack up and be pointless in a year or so.
Guys, the slice in the pipe is about 6 inches north of the insert. I don't think it has anything to do with the rod for the combuster. It is a horizontal cut in the pipe. When I open the door, I can see flames in this slice.

Guys, the slice in the pipe is about 6 inches north of the insert. I don't think it has anything to do with the rod for the combuster. It is a horizontal cut in the pipe. When I open the door, I can see flames in this slice.
ok then it is most likely a separated seam and needs fixed

It is crazy, sometimes I think they add things in there that won't be possible or gets skipped because it's not necessary. That way they have a way out of owning a warranty claim. Lopi is real bad about owning issues..

I don't understand. I don't see how you could possibly see 6" above the elbow with the stove installed. Are the surround panels on it? You said you see this cut while looking trough the door though. ?

It is crazy, sometimes I think they add things in there that won't be possible or gets skipped because it's not necessary. That way they have a way out of owning a warranty claim. Lopi is real bad about owning issues..
Every company does it to some extent

Reactions: webby3650
I don't understand. I don't see how you could possibly see 6" above the elbow with the stove installed. Are the surround panels on it? You said you see this cut while looking trough the door though. ?
The surround panels are not installed. It seems like the liner may not be fully seated in the elbow at this one spot. With the door open and a good draft, I can see flames coming up the pipe.

The surround panels are not installed. It seems like the liner may not be fully seated in the elbow at this one spot. With the door open and a good draft, I can see flames coming up the pipe.
Sounds like a logical explanation.

[. I am also going to start another thread on the proper operation of the catalytic combuster. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
This is too broad of a topic . Do some research and reading on this site about combustors. What might be helpful is a thread about operating specific stove. I'd be happy to chime in and share my experience and may be learn something.

What is the proper way to attach the liner to the elbow? The installer is going to come back and may put another screw in the elbow and make sure it is properly installed. Did I read somewhere that a band clamp is the proper way?

Typically the elbow would have a band clamp stacked to it. Screws aren't a good idea on flex.

Yes a fixed/band elbow liner is the correct part.
See below
upload_2016-12-14_11-31-10.png

I should have used something like this too as my flexible liner came into my stove at an angle like yours and it created a lot of problems for me.

Last edited:
Yes a fixed/band elbow liner is the correct part.
See below
View attachment 190312

I should have used something like this too as my flexible liner came into my stove at an angle like yours and it created a lot of problems for me.
OK, that looks good. I think in this case, he screwed the liner to an elbow. I will see if I can send him a picture of that. Does that connector have a formal name? This way I can tell him what I would prefer him to do. Thanks.

Can you post some pictures? There may be other deficiencies that need correcting.

Reactions: webby3650
Status
Not open for further replies.