Framing Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheIndian

Jan 11, 2018
Long Island
Hi All,
Am hoping to acquire some framing advice from the wealth of knowledge that exists here. I recently had a Fireplace Xtrordinaire 564 25K installed and would now like to start framing my hearth. I will be using steel studs and would like to achieve something that looks like this....I like this design because a potential tv will be set back therefore less affected by rising heat.
thumbnail_2A7B7983-F171-4F42-9365-0503D6F01EA3.jpg

The unit has been installed and vented as seen below. I am afraid with the placement of the stove pipe, I might not be able to achieve this design any more.
DSCN2694.JPG

I thought this would be any easy feature to frame however I am not so sure now and understand I might have to change things up. If I want to go with my above design I am thinking some support studs would need to go between stove pipe and existing wall but there is not enough room for that. Any advice appreciated. Thx.

To me that looks like a dangerous set up but I am not in the fireplace installation business and know nothing about it...I think that stove pipe is too close to the wall as well as the wood flooring on the bottom, Maybe when you frame it in things might go better or not...I hope the more experienced people come on here and help you with what you asked about...clancey

Hi All,
Am hoping to acquire some framing advice from the wealth of knowledge that exists here. I recently had a Fireplace Xtrordinaire 564 25K installed and would now like to start framing my hearth. I will be using steel studs and would like to achieve something that looks like this....I like this design because a potential tv will be set back therefore less affected by rising heat.
View attachment 281100
The unit has been installed and vented as seen below. I am afraid with the placement of the stove pipe, I might not be able to achieve this design any more.
View attachment 281101
I thought this would be any easy feature to frame however I am not so sure now and understand I might have to change things up. If I want to go with my above design I am thinking some support studs would need to go between stove pipe and existing wall but there is not enough room for that. Any advice appreciated. Thx.
It should be pretty straightforward. Just carefully read all of the instructions so you know where combustibles can be

To me that looks like a dangerous set up but I am not in the fireplace installation business and know nothing about it...I think that stove pipe is too close to the wall as well as the wood flooring on the bottom, Maybe when you frame it in things might go better or not...I hope the more experienced people come on here and help you with what you asked about...clancey
I don't know the exact model of fireplace here but, in general for most smaller direct vent fireplaces there is no requirement for floor protection in front of the fireplace and it can sit directly on a combustible surface. The fireplace itself typically only needs 1/2" clearance on the sides and back and the vent pipe needs 1" clearance to combustibles when run vertically.

Hey All...thanks for the replies. Yes, all good with placement of the unit as per installation manual. I was surprised too to know that it can sit right on floor and be 1/2" from wall.
I got started on the framing after staring at the wall for several days. Still have a ways to go. Using steel studs. Take a look...
DSCN2731.JPG
DSCN2732.JPG

What do you guys think about the gas line connection I made...would like to know your thoughts on the proximity of the gas line to the steel stud...it's about 1/2" (see space circled in orange). Too close?

DSCN2734.JPG
DSCN2735.JPG
Too close.jpg

Thanks for reading...

Did not realize that it was gas--you do really neat and beautiful work and the pictures are good too.. thank you,,clancey

Hey All...thanks for the replies. Yes, all good with placement of the unit as per installation manual. I was surprised too to know that it can sit right on floor and be 1/2" from wall.
I got started on the framing after staring at the wall for several days. Still have a ways to go. Using steel studs. Take a look...
View attachment 281291View attachment 281292

What do you guys think about the gas line connection I made...would like to know your thoughts on the proximity of the gas line to the steel stud...it's about 1/2" (see space circled in orange). Too close?

View attachment 281293View attachment 281294View attachment 281295
Thanks for reading...
Black iron gas pipe can be run through framing so I don't think that you will have any problem with that configuration. Nice work!