Frankensplitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Knuckles75

Apr 18, 2018
Hinsdale, NY
Well, I thought I would post my Dunnowutitis Pro... It's obviously homemade and I picked it up for $80. Motor was a blown Briggs (owner's son stole the plug and never told him...). Owner got too sick to do wood anymore so it sat in the weeds for a few years. Pump, detent and ram still worked, threw a 6.5hp Predator So, in the end, my cost was less than $200... until I messed up the pump (my fault), but got about 20 cord before that happened. Picked up a new 13gpm on eBay for $94 and it's been splittin' everything I've thrown at it.
IMG_20161113_161838.jpg CAM00249.jpg

Cool find. But do I spy galvanized street elbows on that SCV? That can wipe out a pump, after some time. You might want to switch them to proper hydraulic fittings, when you get a chance. Aside from not being rated to handle the pressure that pump will run, galvanized fittings are bad juju in a hydraulic system, due to flaking problems with the plating.

I also don’t see a filter in the system, but maybe it’s just not visible in the photos.

I'm not sure about the fittings, there's a good layer of rust on them. I do know that they've been there since he built it almost 30 years ago with no signs of stress. And, because of the rust and the fittings still holding, I haven't put a filter on it yet. The I beam is 12' long and I have enough parts to build a second one and I'm going to be re-doing the frankensplitter at the same time and I'm going to install one then.

Reactions: Ashful
Good luck and keep us up to date with your progress !