Freakin' Chipmunks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer Belly

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2011
Connecticut
They're everywhere, and they are causing problems with my stone walls on my driveway, not to mention in the gardens. How do I rid myself of these critters.....I'm not opposed to killing them if need be....no poisons though.

Around my place they are dispatched by dog or a pellet gun depending on which of us sees them first. I also hear Large mouse traps work pretty well.

chipndale.jpg

Buy a dog. I wish I had chipmunks, since I find them very entertaining, but my two mini-pins ensure they stay away.

My other house int he city had them. I'd shoot 20 or so per year with a very silent pellet gun. It became a real enjoyable hobby.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeanw
Wife won't allow a firearm of any type.....I'm sure I'd enjoy poppin' a few. Back in my younger days, I was part of a Rifle Club, and got as far as Sharpshooter Bar 9.....certified by NRA

We're going to have to punch a hole in your man card.

I'm pretty sure that is a total revoke. :)

If it was me, I'd try a small have a heart trap and release them far away in the country. Just last night, I picked up an injured chipmunk last night that had been chewed on by a cat. He must have been a superchipmunk, because even with messed up back legs, he got out of a 2' high tupperware container.

Mice, rats, ect...I kill without looking back. I just can't do it to chipmunks. Too cute.

Reactions: Monaco
Wife won't allow a firearm of any type.....I'm sure I'd enjoy poppin' a few. Back in my younger days, I was part of a Rifle Club, and got as far as Sharpshooter Bar 9.....certified by NRA

While I can understand your need for continued marital bliss;
- a pellet gun is not a firearm <>
- your wife is not a man ()
- and the chipmunks are sitting out there, taunting you. ;lol

I'm pretty sure that is a total revoke. :)

If it was me, I'd try a small have a heart trap and release them far away in the country. Just last night, I picked up an injured chipmunk last night that had been chewed on by a cat. He must have been a superchipmunk, because even with messed up back legs, he got out of a 2' high tupperware container.

Mice, rats, ect...I kill without looking back. I just can't do it to chipmunks. Too cute.

Anything smaller than a raccoon is just a bug. Don't let the cute eyes fool ya >>

I'm with you on chipmunks being a nuisance. They taunt our dogs endlessly and then the dogs tear up the yard, the shed, even the car trying to get to them.
One or our dogs gouged the fenders on our cars with his teeth trying to reach them.
I think the pellet gun is a good solution. They laugh at mouse traps but rat traps might catch them. Like sportbikerider78 I like having the cute little guys around otherwise.

Tell your wife that rodents, chipmunks, are the source of Lyme ticks.

Go to Home Depot or lowes and get big rat traps. Peanut butter works best. I found they can take certain baits like nuts or bread without setting it off. They work great and give a fast kill every time. Although it seems the more I kill the more keep coming back.

Attachments

• 1202d1dc-4926-41c1-a2e1-8fc70f292af5_400.jpg
    1202d1dc-4926-41c1-a2e1-8fc70f292af5_400.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 191
Go to Home Depot or lowes and get big rat traps. Peanut butter works best. I found they can take certain baits like nuts or bread without setting it off. They work great and give a fast kill every time. Although it seems the more I kill the more keep coming back.
Outside, you can't kill your way out. You need to get them to relocate on their own. That's why outside predators work, its the constant pressure makes them pack their bags.

The old classic - 5 gallon pail about 1/3 full of water , ramp up to top edge of pail some thing to attract them floating on water. once they fall in can't get out............. goggle it lots of various designs of basic system and tips for use.

The old classic - 5 gallon pail about 1/3 full of water , ramp up to top edge of pail some thing to attract them floating on water. once they fall in can't get out............. goggle it lots of various designs of basic system and tips for use.
You couldn't find a more torturous way to kill them?

Reactions: semipro
we are going to have a nice peaceful winter here. our cats catch every mouse, mole and chipmunk on not only my property but all the neighbors too. they bring them up on our deck unfortunately to show us and by the next morning something takes them away. they are catching about 3 to 4 on average a day. the one chipmunk i seen this summer is history.

we are going to have a nice peaceful winter here. our cats catch every mouse, mole and chipmunk on not only my property but all the neighbors too.

Used to irritate me that my lil girl would go through the woods to a neighbor's house for an hour every day. Saw him in the woods one day and told him I hoped she wasn't bothering them. He said "Hell no. I have been trying to get those mice out from under my low deck for years. And she has wiped them out in no time.".

She actually looks like she is bummed these days because she can't find any more anywhere around.

When they chew your wires (maybe that's just mice ) and they arc, and start the fire that kills your family, are you really going to be happy you chose not to use the bucket due to humane reasoning and rodents?
I don't have much exposed wiring outside, and I don't have many chipmunks inside.

Reactions: BrotherBart
Status
Not open for further replies.