Free Beech

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a call from a local tree guy. He has a tree job with Beech. How does Beech stack up to other hardwoods? Good...OK...desireable...etc etc..

Thanks

Very desirable for burning, near the top of the list! It can be hit or miss for splitting, although generally not too bad. Jump on it!!!

Awesome wood. Get it all.

Go to Sweep's library -firewood btu content........ blue beech ranks higher than gray beech........ I like burning it i have only burned blue have not come across any gray in the 5 yrs I've been burning but the blue to me is a good over night wood leaves a lot of coals Its nickname is Iron wood LOL! lives up to that to the big stuff is tough to break by hand so keep it in mind I give it grade A.. primo stuff.. happy splitting.....

Beech is good stuff.

Beech is my favorite - clean, splits and stacks nice, great heat! Get it if you can, you will be happy.

I usually burn maple (mostly red) but on occasion burn grey beech. I find that it takes a full year plus to dry it compared to the maple I normally burn. I split by hand with a maul and it is not that easy to split unless frozen. Shouldnt be a problem with a splitter. I find it burns "slow" and is best used to extend the duration of a fire.

When I was a teenager in Calif., a Free Beach was where you didn't have to wear clothes!

In NJ you don't have to pay! To use the beaches our own tax money pays for!

Just got back. I only had my one ton truck with 8 foot bed. Very limited in what I can take.

I got there and the tree guys had it down and bucking it up. I rolled up backwards and they just started to load me up. I've got at least two more trips.

Funny thing. On the way there. There was a fresh pile of log rounds on the shoulder. Looks like another tree co. decided to "dump and run". Big pile. I'll respond to whomever wants more precise directions. In north NJ. Two cords easy.

jj3500 said:
I'll respond to whomever wants more precise directions. In north NJ. Two cords easy.

Sharing is what we need more in this world....way to go jj!

btw beech is graet!

Beach is even better!!! "free California beach" that is ;-)

Wet1 said:
Very desirable for burning, near the top of the list! It can be hit or miss for splitting, although generally not too bad. Jump on it!!!

Agree 100%. Awesome for burning. I've had some that yielded to the maul like slow-cooked pork off the bone. On the other hand, I've whacked at some rounds that rivaled elm in difficulty.

Beech is susceptible to a disease or insect that creates imperfections in the bark. Usually the smoother the bark, the easier the split. Bumpy bark means I'm in for a workout.

With 40 cords of Beech split and stacked in his back yard, I think Eric over in the boiler room would say Beech is good firewood.

That firewood on the side of the road has been scavenged already. If anyone was remotely interested.

I picked up another load today. I'll post pics. These will be my first go around of posting.

Tree company will have another big job early next week. I'll be by to pick up the rounds.

Wooohooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.