Free Standing in front of fireplace insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mainelen

Jan 8, 2008
Southern Maine
We built a modular home and have a "fireplace". It is a wood burning fire box, with the steel chimney. We just put an englander pellet stove in the basement, and now want one upstairs. Heres my problem, I know I can vent out of my existing fireplace, but what about the outside air up? I don't want to cut a hole and have it coming out the front of the house, but is there any other way? I don't want an insert. If we sell the home the fireplace would be more appealing. My brother-in-law has 2 pellet stoves and uses no outside air hook up on his quadra-fires. Englander says it has to be done. What should/can I do?

So you are going to put the stove on a hearth pad on the floor in front of the fireplace?
If you have a modular (tight, relatively) and Englander says OSA is needed, you should do it. Two options I can think of, but you should check them with Englander or your building official (or both) - one is that since you will probably line the exiting chimney with a small pipe for the pellet stove, you can bring another pipe (maybe aluminum) down for the OSA....the other option is to go through the floor into the basement and then to an outside wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.