Free wood I get

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinman1

Oct 28, 2014
Long Island New York
Is this a good thing ,at work I get free wood from all different types of pallets ? The good ones seem to be the swamp oak ? Instead of throwing them away, we have the laborer cut them up which is for me 15" long and they are 3x3,3x4. I also have acess to the pine skids , are the pine worth taking ? Just curios

Some people are just plain lucky. ;sick Unless the wood has been chemically treated (pressure-treated, painted etc.) take whatever you can get. Dry pine is great in the shoulder season or for startup fires.

You have someone cutting them up for you? Take them. You'll never need kindling. Probably can't fill the firebox with them since they burn so fast and hot, but to supplement (the oak especially) or kindle (either type really) a fire, they're great. And they're free BTUs. Unless you're like 5 years ahead and don't need kindling either. Then give them to someone else.

Pine is better than nothing. It has about half the heat value of oak. I use pine for kindling but not for long term burning.

I'd take it all. Even oak pallets need seasoning. I've burnt them only to have liquid boiling out of the ends. I d put a MM on them.

If you had to cut them I would feel differently, but if someone is cutting them up for you I would take every piece I could get (until I got 3 years ahead).

There is a local home improvement place here always throwing out long oak skids, some pine. I split the pine boards into kindlin and stack in a bucket, the oak boards i cut in half ( about 24" long ) just right for the burner. Stack them up. I lay some pine kindlin, then a few oak boards then throw my logs on top and light... The pine catches fast and starts the rough sawn oak planks.

I get pallets from work every once in awhile as otherwise we have to pay to have them hauled off and destroyed. They are great for kindling when starting using the Top Down method. If you can get em, go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.