Free Wood Score! Thanks Cityevader!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

myzamboni

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2007
Silicon Valley
Saturday I made a visit to Cityevader's abode in the hills above Silicon Valley. He was nice enough to PM me with an offer of free Oak and Locust rounds/quarters, some bay/locust branches, and use of his 30 ton splitter to process. It took 2 heaped/stacked loads with my buddies full-size Dodge shortbed (the Cummins barely shrugged), and here is what I got (should come out to a shade over a cord. I cannot thank him enough. My pine stacks are already getting jealous of all the attention.

Crazy Oak Burl
burl.jpg

pile.jpg

pile_back.jpg

pile_side.jpg

Wow, can't beat free, and then the use of the splitter! Sweet deal. Nice guy. Nice wood.

Now that is some real decent looking firewood! Maybe you can stretch it out mixing it with pine.. I know you can burn pine but with so much hardwood around here I have no need to burn it.. A few weeks ago the power company cut a bunch of trees under their high tension lines and the hardwood was gone in no time and the pine still lays where they cut it.. It is even cut to length and people won't touch it.. When we go camping I tried pine and didn't like it because it's too smoky compared to hardwoods plus no coals.. Are we spoiled or what?

Ray

Whats this pine thing you speak of .. aint seen none here.

cityevader said:
You shoulda seen the grin on your face running that splitter, wish there was a camera shot!

I never knew I liked hydraulics that much!

Mix it with the pine and you get the best of both worlds. Hot fast fire that lasts a long time.

Sweet score!

I'm still pulling my score out... It's gonna take some time and a lot of advil!!!

Who'd a thunk us pine burners would be burning the good stuff for free!!!

Bubbavh said:
Mix it with the pine and you get the best of both worlds. Hot fast fire that lasts a long time.

Sweet score!

I'm still pulling my score out... It's gonna take some time and a lot of advil!!!

Who'd a thunk us pine burners would be burning the good stuff for free!!!

Yeah, your pull is going to take a lot of vitamin A alright!

I know there are lots of hardwood "purists" and I'm blessed to have all the great hardwood I'll ever need, yet I still burn tons of pine, hemlock, poplar, and even punky wood too. I use our stove non-stop about 7 months of the year. There's probably a total of about 2 months of that time when I really need max heat output and that's when I burn mostly hardwood. Much of the rest of the time we only need moderate heat or even just a little heat so I mix in more or less softwwood. Even in the very cold weather, a piece or two of pine or hemlock can help a new load catch faster and get to temp quicker. It's all good if you use it in the appropriate situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.