free wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fishki

Jan 5, 2017
SE Kansas
Think I made out pretty good, got paid to take out some trees and clean up some brush...
ended up with elm, hedge, and sugarberry/hackberry.

The pallets stack is 20' long and around 4.5' high, other rows are 16' long and...crap I don't know how high.

IMG_3396.JPG IMG_3398.JPG

Think I made out pretty good, got paid to take out some trees and clean up some brush...
ended up with elm, hedge, and sugarberry/hackberry.

The pallets stack is 20' long and around 4.5' high, other rows are 16' long and...crap I don't know how high.

View attachment 194051 View attachment 194052

Crap, that just means you're done with wood prospecting for a while [emoji2]

Reactions: Gboutdoors
Yep, nice being ahead now for following winters, I started out hand splitting that wood, quickly realized I'm getting to damn old so I went and bought a splitter. Being a first time wood burner, I have now also unfortunately learned..... I have nothing to burn!! My supply that I bought is about gone!
So its scrounge day for me, I do know of a stack of old hedge posts so I'm getting those and cutting them up today, all up off the ground on some 4x4's. Probably have better luck scrounging since no one seems to know the meaning "Seasoned Wood" around here.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I don't know about where u r, but we have tons of cherry here. There are always dead or dying ones that can be burn ready when cut. I just hauled a half cord of some home and it's between 15-18%. Ash too.

I don't know about where u r, but we have tons of cherry here. There are always dead or dying ones that can be burn ready when cut. I just hauled a half cord of some home and it's between 15-18%. Ash too.

Just noticed my location was very vague, fixed it now. I'm sitting in SE Kansas, we have quite a variety if you can get in and cut it, but mostly oak, hackberry, hedge, pecan, walnut and hickory if you can find it to cut.

That's in the top ten of neat stacks, love seeing the hedge line in the pile also. Looks great!!

What is the very light, almost white wood at the end of the stack in pic 1? Not familiar with anything that white.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

What is the very light, almost white wood at the end of the stack in pic 1? Not familiar with anything that white.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

that is a new species, called Trump wood. ;-)

Reactions: fishki and diesel59
Whelp. Forget your login for Hearth, and we'll see you next year.

I believe that is sugarberry, southern cousin to hackberry, the only identifiable difference being the bark and leaves.

And....... that is my first time stacking wood ;lol

sweet score you got there. I got about a cord of free oak a few weeks ago and I already have about a half cord thats been seasoning for 2 years, some of the best wood I have burned