freestanding steel in fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

creeker

Oct 14, 2008
finger lakes region, Ny
Once I make my decision, I know it will be a good one. It just takes time.

Here's my first time buying a wood stove. The cheapest way to install a WB stove is via my existing fireplace situation, which is also centrally located, and completely interior, with surrounding living space. So, when I get that mass heated up with a wb stove, it should work well. I'm not keen on an insert, because I don't want the noise of a blower, and I think I can get more efficiency from a freestanding stove in the fireplace. I think I'm going with steel. I don't need the expense of a stone stove, and from what I hear, steel requires somewhat less maintenance over the long haul. I've already got that fireplace mass to retain and push out some heat. It's a pretty big fireplace opening 42" w by 32" high.

My question is, do I have to worry about heating up the fireplace mass too much with a freestanding steel stove? Is there a difference between how the heat of an insert works on a fireplace as opposed to a freestanding? Am I crazy to NOT think about a blower for any stove inside my fireplace? I've seen some fireplaces in which the exterior brick is scary damn hot from their stoves. My fireplace is all brick. I'm looking at a PE Vista or a comparable Lopi, and covering about 1000 open sq. feet without catherdral ceilings and all that.

I was somewhat happy with my Revere without a blower, but love it with one. Without a fan you will have some problems getting the heat out of the cave. When you do that you'll end up buying a few fans and putting them blowing into the stove to get the heat out. By then your noise of a fan argument is nil. My blower fan is way quieter than any oscillating fan I got to move the heat around. I would imagine a stand alone wood stove would put out a whole lot of heat and spend half the time heating the brick mass. This is ok unless you've got a mantle or anything on your fireplace. If I had to do it over again I'd still go with an insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.